As I’ve said before, scrambled tofu is my favorite breakfast and I often make it on the weekends. It’s so versatile that I rarely make the same thing twice. I used to just throw it all together, not really remembering what I’ve done, but lately I’ve been making an effort to write everything down so I can share the recipes with you.
- 16 ounce block of firm or extra tofu, drained and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 leeks, cleaned well and sliced
- 10 -12 mushrooms, sliced
- 6 ounces of baby spinach, chopped
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon tumeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon all purpose seasoning mix
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- Sea salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup olives, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- Cook the leeks in the oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat for about 10 minute, until they start to brown and caramelize. Stir often.
- Add the crumbled tofu, the spices and the nutritional yeast. Let cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the broth to prevent the tofu sticking to the pan. You can add more than 1/4 cup if the tofu seems dry.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until they soften, about 5 more minutes. Add the spinach and cook a minute or two, until it wilts.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and top with chopped olives and tomatoes.
- Serve and enjoy!