Even though the temperatures are still stuck in the low 40s here in New Jersey, spring as officially started. This raw key lime pie is the perfect spring dessert, because it’s light and fruity and you don’t need to turn the oven on. And as an added bonus, it’s pretty good for you too. I served this pie at my green Saint Patrick’s Day potluck over the weekend and it was huge hit. I don’t think anyone knew that the creamy pie’s “secret” ingredient was avocados!
- 1½ cup raw walnuts
- 1½ cup unsweetened, shredded dried coconut
- 8 medjool dates, pitted and coarsely chopped
- ¾ cup key lime juice
- ½ cup raw agave nectar
- 3 avocados, peeled, pitted and coarsely chopped
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- To make the crust, place the walnuts and dried coconut in a food processor and process until finely ground and resembling crumbs. Add the dates and continue to process until the mixture starts to stick together. Place the mixture into a pie or tart pan and distribute the crumbs evenly along the bottom. Push some of the crumbs up onto the sides of the pan with your hands, and firmly push the crust down, especially if your pan has nooks and crannies.
- To make the filling, combine all of the ingredients in a food process or high speed blender and process until smooth. Add water if necessary. Pour the mixture into the pie crust and spread evenly. Garnish with fresh raspberries. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours to allow the filling to set before serving.