Chef Del Sroufe managed to reach 475 pounds on a vegan diet high in processed foods such as pastries, soda, potato chips and soy ice cream. After joining the Wellness Forum and working with Pam Popper, he cut out processed foods, sugars and oils, and he began eating a whole foods vegan diet rich in vegetables, fruits, beans and whole grains. He lost 240 pounds and in his new book Chef Del’s Better Than Vegan: 101 Favorite Low-Fat, Plant-Based Recipes That Helped Me Lose Over 200 Pounds, he shares is weight loss story along with his favorite recipes. With the recipes in Better Than Vegan, Chef Del proves that the healthiest diet can be the most delicious. The book also contains cooking tips, health advice and a pantry primer. If you’re new to vegan cooking, are trying to lose weight, or want to improve your overall health, Chef Del’s Better Than Vegan is for you!
Chef Del makes a stop here on his blog tour today with his recipe for Breakfast Burritos and copy of his book Better Than Vegan for one lucky reader.
- 2 large leeks, white and light green parts only, diced into ½-inch cubes
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced into ½-inch cubes
- 1½ cups shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 pound lite firm tofu, pressed and mashed to the consistency of ricotta cheese
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 4 10- or 12-inch whole-wheat tortillas
- 1 cup salsa (store-bought or your favorite homemade)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Sauté the leeks, red bell pepper, and mushrooms over medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes, until the leeks are translucent and tender. Add the garlic, cumin, coriander, pepper, turmeric, soy sauce, and nutritional yeast, and cook over medium-low heat for 5 minutes. Add the tofu and mix well. Spread the mixture on a large parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove the scramble from the oven and stir in the cilantro. To make the burritos, divide the scramble between the four tortillas and spoon some salsa over the filling. Fold the ends of each tortilla over the filling and roll it up.
I have a copy of Chef Del’s Better Than Vegan for one lucky reader. Follow the instructions below to enter. US and Canadian residents only, please. The contest ends at midnight eastern time on Sunday, January 12th. Good luck!