Double Broccoli Quinoa Salad is a favorite springtime recipe. It’s always a hit at potlucks, and it’s perfect for picnics and cookouts.
This dish is based on a 101Cookbooks.com recipe from several years ago. The original recipe wasn’t vegan, so I’ve taken out the dairy products and added my own twist to it. I’ve served this dish at many potlucks and even demonstrated it for a few cooking classes, and it’s always a crowd-pleaser. I think the secret to this recipe’s success is the broccoli pesto, because you can never go wrong with pesto.
If I have some on hand, I like to mix in some tofu feta, to give this dish a little extra somethin’ somethin’.
- ¾ cup of water
- 5 cups broccoli, cut into small pieces
- ¼ cup olive oil + 1 teaspoon
- 3 garlic cloves
- ⅔ cup cashews
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 15-ounce can of chickpeas or 1½ cups cooked chickpeas
- Optional toppings: vegan feta cheese, roasted red peppers, avocado, basil
- Add the water and broccoli to a large pot and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes, just enough to take the raw edge off. Broccoli should be bright green.
- Remove two cups of broccoli and set aside for the pesto. Add one teaspoon of olive oil and chickpeas to the pan. Cook for five minutes
- To make the broccoli pesto, puree two cups of broccoli, garlic, ¼ olive oil, cashews, nutritional yeast, lemon juice and sea salt in a food processor.
- Mix together the broccoli pesto and cooked quinoa in a large bowl. Add the rest of the broccoli and the chickpeas.