I love fall! Not only is it time for all things pumpkin and apple, but I can finally turn my oven on again and start making casseroles and lasagnas for dinner. This lasagna tart is super easy to make, and is a little fancier than regular lasagna, so you can impress all of your friends at a dinner party or a potluck with it. It doesn’t take long to prepare, so you won’t have to to spend much time in the kitchen. If you’re in a rush, you can use a ready made pie crust and a store-bought vegan ricotta, such as Kite Hill.
This Lasagna Tart is based on a recipe from 101 Cookbooks. I’ve served it at potlucks and dinner parties, and it’s always been a hit. Friends have told me that the cashew ricotta tastes better than what they remember of dairy ricotta.
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup cold water
- 2 cups cashew ricotta
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced into thin disks
- 3 cups prepared tomato sauce (25 ounce jar)
- Pre-heat oven to 350° degrees, and oil a 10 inch pie pan or tart pan. Combine the crust ingredients in a bowl and kneed until mixed. Roll onto a lightly floured surface until it’s about 13 inches across. Gently pick up the dough and place in the pie pan. Press into all of the corners and trim away an excess. Bake for 5 minutes.
- Spread half of the ricotta inside the crust. Layer half of the zucchini on top of it and top with the rest of the ricotta Top with half of the sauce. Layer on the rest of zucchini and pour the rest of the sauce on top. Bake for 40 minutes.
- Allow to sit for 5 or 10 minutes before serving. Serve hot.