I’m pleased to be hosting Zsu Dever on on her Everyday Vegan Eats blog tour today! I have one of Zsu’s recipes to share and a chance to win a copy of her book. Everyday Vegan Eats is Zsu’s debut cookbook, and it’s chockfull of recipes for delicious comfort food dishes that will please everyone, no matter what their dietary preference. These are the recipes that Zsu feeds her family on a regular basis, and they’re the dishes that kept everyone happy as they all transitioned to a vegan diet. Everyday Vegan Eats contains recipes for veganized favorites such as Baked Macaroni and Cheese, Lasagna Americana, New England Chowder, Deli Reubens and this Scampi Pasta…
- 8 ounces capellini or angel hair pasta or gluten-free pasta
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- ½ cup coarsely chopped raw walnuts
- ¼ cup dulse seaweed flakes
- ¼ cup packed finely chopped parsley
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup of the cooking water. Cool the pasta under running cold water, drain, and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and walnuts. Reduce the heat to low. Cook, stirring, until the garlic is golden, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium. Add the dulse, parsley, and asparagus. Cook, stirring, until the asparagus is partially cooked, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in ½ cup of the reserved pasta cooking water and continue to cook until the asparagus is crisp-tender, another 2 minutes.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, the reserved pasta, and the other ½ cup of reserved pasta cooking water. Cook, stirring, until the pasta is heated through and the sauce has thickened.
- Season to taste with salt, plenty of black pepper, and the rest of the lemon juice, if needed. Serve hot.
From Everyday Vegan Eats by Zsu Dever. ©2014 Zsu Dever. Used by permission from Vegan Heritage Press.
Enter to win a copy of Everyday Vegan Eats! Follow the instructions below to enter. U.S. residents only, please. Contest ends at midnight EST on Monday, May 19th. Good luck!