My go-to vegan cashew cheese
This is my go-to cashew cheese. I spread it on raw “bread” for sandwiches in the summertime, drizzle it on nachos when I want a little snack, and pour it over tacos. It’s adds a little flavor to just about anything – baked potatoes, tofu scramble, avocado toast – you name it!
This cashew cheese is incredibly versatile. You can add a variety of herbs and spices to change the flavor to suit what you’re serving it with. I sometimes add some spice when I’m serving it with nachos, or I’ll add some herbs to cool it down if I’m serving it with a dish that already has some heat to it.
The sauce will thicken as it sits, so you may need to add a little water to thin it out, depending on how you’re serving it. It freezes well, so if you find yourself wondering what to do with the full batch, you can pop some in the freeze and save it for later.
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked for two hours and drained
- 1 medium tomato, coarsely chopped
- ⅓ cup water
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon raw sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon mellow white miso
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a food processor or blender until smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides as needed. If you’re using a blender, start slow and then build up to a high speed, otherwise the ingredients might get stuck. If the mixture seems too thick, add a little more water, a teaspoon at a time.
- For Herbed Cheese, add ¼ cup fresh chopped herbs, such as dill, cilantro, or parsley.
- For Spicy Cheese, add 1 chopped jalapeno.
- For Nacho Cheese, add 1 chopped jalapeno and 1 teaspoon chipotle powder.
If you enjoyed this vegan Cashew Cheese Sauce, you may also like: