Last year, Angela from Canned Time asked me to participate in her Veganized Family Favorites Desserts series. I created a Chocolate Cream Pie, and strangely, I won favorite dessert out of the 12 recipes that were in the series!
When Angela asked if I wanted to participate in another series this year, this time creating a recipe using nut butter, I jumped at the opportunity. I love cooking with nut butters, especially peanut butter, and I love Canned Time, so how could I say no?
Spicy peanut sauce is my favorite way to cook with nut butter, so this Peanutty Pad Thai Zoodle recipe isn’t really a stretch for me. Canned Time’s Nut Butter Blast series was the perfect excuse for me to come up with a new recipe that uses it, though.
Making zucchini noodles – or zoodles – is a fun way to incorporate more veggies into your meals. It’s also a great option for hot evenings, when you don’t feel like cooking. And they’re gluten-free, so those with gluten and wheat sensitivities can enjoy “pasta” without having to worry about what’s in their food.
I have a handy dandy spiralizer, but if you don’t, that doesn’t mean you can’t make zoodles. You can simply use a vegetable peeler to create long, thin noodles that resemble pappardelle or lasagna. A julienne peeler will create thinner noodles that resemble angel hair pasta.
This Peanutty Pad Thai Zoodles recipe is my entry into the Nut Butter Blast series. In this dish, cool, raw zucchini noodles are tossed together with vegetables and tofu and drenched with spicy peanut sauce. It’s one of my favorite ways to enjoy zucchini noodles, and I hope you like it, too!
- ¼ cup natural creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic chili paste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 medium zucchinis
- 5-ounce package savory baked tofu, diced
- 2 cups napa cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups mung bean sprouts
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 2 carrots, julienned
- 2 scallions, sliced
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup toasted peanuts, chopped
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Sriracha, for serving, optional
- In a small bowl, whisk together the peanut butter, rice wine vinegar, water, sesame oil, tamarind paste, lime juice, tamari, ginger, garlic chili paste, and garlic.
- If you have a spiralizer, spiralize the zucchinis. If not, use a vegetable peeler or julienne peeler to slice the zucchinis into thin strips.
- In a large bowl, toss together the zucchini, cabbage, red pepper, carrots, scallions, and cilantro. Gently toss in the dressing.
- Divide the noodles into two bowls. Garnish with peanuts and lime wedges. Serve with Sriracha, if using.