I don’t find myself at Blossom du Jour in Manhattan very often, but when I do, I almost always order the Un-Chicken Avocado Griller. It’s kind of silly that I always go for the same thing, since the entire menu is vegan, and eating there is a treat, but it’s such a good sandwich that I just can’t help myself. The first time I tried it was several years ago when I was invited to the grand opening of the vegan fast food chain’s Chelsea location, and I became instantly hooked.
The Un-Chicken Avocado Griller consists of grilled lemon-rosemary vegan chick’n, avocado, vegan mayo, and lettuce sandwiches between two halves of a crusty bun. It’s the combination avocado and pesto that has me hooked.
I’ve been craving the sandwich recently, and since it is rare that I visit a Blossom du Jour, I wanted to recreate it at home. Rather than use a vegan chick’n patty, I decided to marinate super firm tofu, which holds up well on the grill. If you can’t find super firm, try using extra firm, and press if overnight.
This sandwich is perfect for grilling season. Along with a salad, it makes a great summer meal on a warm evening. The cooked tofu also tastes great cold, so you can pack the sandwich and take it for lunch at the office or even on a picnic.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (16-ounce) package super firm tofu, sliced into 8 flat pieces
- 4 rolls (the more rustic and “hearty” the bread, the better), sliced in half
- 1 tablespoon vegan mayonnaise
- 1 avocado, sliced
- leaf lettuce
- 1 cup Spinach Pesto
- Mix all of the marinade ingredients together in a small bowl. Place the tofu in a flat baking dish and pour the marinade over them. Let the tofu sit for two hours to overnight
- Lightly oil and heat the grill. Place the tofu on the grill and let cook between 10 to 15 minutes, until heated throughout, flipping halfway through. Grill the rolls for the last minute or two.
- Assemble the sandwiches by spreading about a teaspoon of mayonnaise on the bottom half of each roll, then layering on the lettuce, two pieces of tofu, avocado slices, and the spinach pesto.
- Serve while the tofu is hot.