This Smoky Kale and Chickpeas with Miso Peanut Drizzle from Bold Flavored Vegan Cooking is packed with flavor, and it comes together in less than 30 minutes, making it the perfect meal for busy weeknights.
Who isn’t a fan of bold, delicious flavor? Bold Flavored Vegan Cooking by Celine Steen is dedicated to using plant-based ingredients to create mouthwateringly flavorful dishes.
In Bold Flavored Vegan Cooking, Celine Steen shows how to add new levels of flavor to vegan dishes with the use of different ingredients such as spices, sauces, and pastes. Just a few sources of bold flavor used in these recipes include citrus, hot peppers, and pickled vegetables. She also explains what umami is (it’s known as “the fifth taste”), and how to add it to your meals by including ingredients such as mushrooms, nutritional yeast, and miso. If you’re not familiar with any of the ingredients, don’t fret – she includes a glossary to explain what each one is.
Some of the ingredients that Celine uses frequently in Bold Flavored Vegan Cooking are ones that I always have on hand in my pantry. Others I’ve seen in stores and have been tempted to purchase, but since I haven’t been totally sure on what to cook with them, I’ve been worried that they’d be exiled to the back of the cabinet and suffer the fate of being ignored until the next clean out when they’d get tossed in the trash. Now I know that I can pick up gochugaru (Korean red chile powder) or Aleppo pepper flakes and have recipes at the ready to use them in.
The recipes in Bold Flavored Vegan Cooking range from easy every-day recipes, such as Teriyaki Tempeh Tacos and Red Curry Scramble with Lime-y Broccoli, to those that take a little longer, like Crunchy Corn Waffles and Squash Blossom Pizza. The quick recipes are labeled, which makes it easy to find something to cook on those days when there isn’t much time to make dinner. There are many gluten-free, soy-free, and oil-free options, which are labeled as well. There’s also a chapter full of DIY pantry staples that includes spices, sauces, and condiments.
The Chapters in Bold Flavored Vegan Cooking include:
I’m a total sucker for peanut sauce, so the first dish I made from the book was the Smoky Kale and Chickpeas with Miso Peanut Drizzle. I served it with roasted sweet potatoes, and I doubled the sauce, because why not? It was indeed packed with flavor, and since it came together quickly it’s sure to find its way into our weeknight meal rotation.
Bold Flavored Vegan Cooking is the perfect cookbook for those who want to give their meals a flavor boost!
- ⅓ cup (85 g) natural peanut butter
- 1 tbsp (18 g) red miso, more if needed
- Juice from 1 lemon (2 tbsp [30 ml])
- 2 tsp (10 ml) toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp (13 g) agave nectar or brown
- rice syrup
- 2 ½ tbsp (15 g) chopped scallions
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) brown rice vinegar
- or seasoned rice vinegar
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) water, more if needed
- 2 tsp (10 ml) sesame oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 ½ cups (256 g) cooked chickpeas
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced (to taste)
- ½ tsp smoked sea salt
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp chipotle powder
- 1 large bunch kale (about 14 oz [397 g]), ribs removed, washed and chopped
- To make the drizzle, place the peanut butter, miso, lemon juice, sesame oil, agave, scallions, garlic, vinegar and water in a blender. Blend until perfectly smooth. Adjust the miso to taste, and add more water if needed to get a thick yet pourable dressing. Set aside while preparing the rest of the dish. I like to use a squeeze bottle to serve the drizzle; it makes for a prettier presentation.
- To make the kale and ’peas, place the sesame oil, onion, chickpeas, garlic, salt, paprika and chipotle powder in a large skillet. Heat on medium-high and stir-fry until the onion is golden brown and fragrant, about 4 minutes. Be sure to stir frequently to prevent scorching. Add the kale and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Serve with potatoes on the side, and drizzle peanut sauce on top. If there are sauce leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It tastes great on tofu bowls, baked potatoes and roasted vegetables.
I have a copy of Bold Flavored Vegan Cooking for one lucky reader today. Follow the instructions below to enter. U.S residents only, please. Contest ends at midnight eastern time on July 25th. Good luck!
a Rafflecopter giveaway