Cherries are my favorite fruit, and I just can’t get enough of them when they’re in season during the summer months. I love adding them to desserts, enjoying them with yogurt, or just eating them in a big bowl with a little sweet cashew cream. I especially love having them for breakfast in smoothies or smoothie bowls, like this Cherry Almond Smoothie Bowl.
This Smoothie Bowl can be made in just a matter of minutes, so the old “I don’t have time for breakfast” excuse isn’t really valid anymore. If your mornings are super busy, you can even make this the night before and store in the fridge in grab-and-go container so that you can take it with it you. Just don’t forget a spoon!
Frozen bananas make this Smoothie Bowl thick creamy, almost like ice cream, and I’ve added a little flax seed meal to thicken it further. I like to add Vega One protein powder to my Smoothie Bowl to give it a little extra oomph, but it’s totally optional.
This Cherry Almond Smoothie Bowl is perfect for a mid-afternoon snack or even dessert, too!
- 16 ounce package frozen cherries
- 2 bananas, frozen
- 1 cup almond milk
- ¼ cup your favorite vegan protein powder, optional
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- ⅓ cup fresh cherries, pitted
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- ¼ cup cacao nibs
- Add the frozen cherries, bananas, almond milk, protein powder (if using), flax seeds, and almond extract to a blender, and process until smooth.
- Divide the mixture between two bowls. Top with the fresh cherries, slivered almonds, and cacao nibs.