August is here, and with it comes scorching heat and stifling humidity. The last thing I want to do is cook, so I tend to turn to raw foods during the month. I’m not the only one, as some have dubbed the month Rawgust.
The idea of eating raw foods might sound a little daunting, or even a little boring, but there are many delicious food choices to choose from that go beyond salads and green smoothies. I often enjoy raw tacos, zucchini noodles, pesto pizza, chia pudding, banana n’ice cream, no-bake pie, and much more.
Raw food doesn’t necessarily mean cold food, as food can be heated up to 118° and still be considered raw. I have a dehydrator and a spiralizer, but you certainly don’t need any fancy equipment to make raw foods at home. You can mix soups and smoothies up in a food processor or blender, and all you need to make a salad is a knife and a cutting board.
You certainly don’t need to eat raw meals 100% of the time to reap the benefits from raw foods. Eating meals that are partly raw or even snacking on raw fruits, vegetables and nuts can be beneficial, too.
5 Benefits of Eating Raw for Rawgust (or any time!)
- More Energy – Many people who follow a raw diet say that they noticed a dramatic increase in their energy when they made the switch. They also report needing less sleep and a greater ease in getting out of bed in the morning.
- Disease Reduction – A raw diet is loaded with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber – all of which help ward off diseases such as cancer, diabetes, and other debilitating ailments.
- Heart Health – The high amount of minerals, phytochemicals, and fiber in raw foods can help lower both cholesterol and triglyceride levels. A raw diet can help lower blood pressure, as well.
- Improved Digestion – The natural enzymes in raw food help enhance digestion.
- Glowing Skin – One of the most frequently reported benefits of a raw food diet is that of glowing skin and a youthful appearance.
To help you get into the swing of Rawgust, I’ve put together some of my favorite raw vegan (and almost raw) recipes. Some are mine, some are from friends, and some are from my favorite raw books. Here, you’ll find recipes to get you through your entire day – from breakfast, lunch, and dinner, to snacks and dessert, too!
35+ Raw (and Almost Raw) Vegan Recipes for Rawgust
Cadry’s Kitchen’s Avocado Caprese Salad with Basil Vinaigrette
Ricki Heller’s Delectable Detox Slaw
Veggies Save the Day’s Watermelon Blueberry Salad
Kathy Hester’s Fresh Herb and Watermelon Gazpacho
Creamy Thai Soup from Raw-Vitalize: The Easy 21-Day Raw Food Recharge by Mimi Kirk and Mia Kirk White
Veggies Saves The Day’s Cold Cucumber Soup
Cadry’s Kitchen’s Raw Tacos with Walnut Filling
Beet Ravioli with Almond Thyme Pâté & Basil from The Rawsome Vegan Cookbook by Emily von Euw
Kathy Hester’s Super Easy Sesame Cucumber Noodles
Ricki Heller’s Marbled Matcha-Lemon Raw Vegan Cheesecake
What are your favorite raw dishes?