I don’t know how she does it, but Robin Robertson has written yet another cookbook! 100 Best Vegan Recipes is her newest book, and it contains 90 of her favorite recipes from the best selling 1,000 Vegan Recipes along 10 that are brand new.
For those who are new to vegan cooking, 100 Best Vegan Recipes is a good book to have on hand. In it, Robin gives six steps to transitioning to a vegan diet, as well as tips on healthy eating. She also gives tips on how to simplify the cooking process, as well as lots of for those who might know their way around the kitchen. There’s advice on stocking your vegan pantry, as well.
For those who are vegan cooking veterans, 100 Best Vegan Recipes offers 100 recipes to add to your repertoire. There are recipes for everything from snacks and appetizers to lunches, salads, and main dishes. All of the recipes use fresh, whole-food ingredients that are easy to find in just about any grocery store. I’ve made a few dishes from 100 Best Vegan Recipes, and I had almost all of the ingredients for each one on hand in my pantry already. All of them were quick and easy to make, and all were super tasty!
Bahn Mi Tostadas are fun twist on traditional Bahn Mi, and they only took a few minutes to make. The recipe says it makes 4 to 6 servings, but it took just two of us to eat it all in one sitting! I found the sauce to be a little too spicy, so if you’re sensitive to heat, definitely cut back on the sriracha. Broccoli-Quinoa Mac is just like mac and cheese, but with protein-rich quinoa instead of pasta. The sauce is made with beans and peppers, for an extra boost of nutrition. I made Cajun Tempeh primarily because I had cut up a block of tempeh just to take a picture of it (the things bloggers do!), and I was looking for a dish to use it in. The recipe did not disappoint! It was full of flavor, and fortunately, there was enough for lunch the next day, too.
I’m going to have to admit that books like 1,000 Vegan Recipes kind of intimidate me, because there are just too many choices, so I’m glad that Robin has pared things down and given us her favorites in 100 Best Vegan Recipes. This is a perfect go-to book for those nights when you don’t have much time to cook or when you’re not sure what to make for dinner.
I have a copy of 100 Best Vegan Recipes for one lucky winner. Be sure to enter the giveaway after the recipe!
Banh Mi Tostadas
- 1 large carrot shredded
- 1/2 English cucumber peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 2 cups finely shredded cabbage
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapeño chiles optional
- 1 teaspoon dark toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon neutral vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup minced scallions
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 8-ounce package baked tofu, cut into thin strips
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons sriracha sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- TOSTADA SHELLS:
- 4 to 6 corn or flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- In a large bowl, combine the carrot, cucumber, cabbage, cilantro, and jalapeños, if using. Drizzle on the sesame oil and toss gently to combine. Set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic, scallions, and ginger and cook for 1 minute. Add the tofu and 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce and mix well to coat the tofu. Set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining 2 tablespoons soy sauce, the hoisin, vinegar, sriracha, and sugar, stirring well to blend.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Arrange the tortillas in a single layer on two baking sheets. Brush both sides of each tortilla with oil. Bake for 5 minutes on one side, then flip the tortillas over and bake for 2 to 3 minutes longer, until crispy. Watch carefully so they don’t burn.
- Evenly divide the tofu among the tostada shells. Top each with some of the vegetable mixture, then the sauce. Serve immediately.
I have a copy of 100 Best Vegan Recipes for one lucky winner! Follow the instructions below to enter. U.S. residents only, please. Contest ends at midnight eastern time on April 24th. Good luck!