Brownies made with black beans? Yes, please! These vegan black bean brownies are moist, fudgy, and deliciously chocolatey. No one will guess that they’re secretly healthy and loaded with protein! Enjoy them for dessert or whenever a chocolate craving strikes. This easy recipe from Vegan Everything by Nadine Horn and Jörg Mayer is vegan, flour-free, and gluten-free.
Do you ever find yourself with a hankering for comfort food from your pre-vegan days? I know I do! Fortunately, Vegan Everything by Nadine Horn and Jörg Mayer is loaded with lots of recipes to satisfy just about every craving. With recipes for pizza, burgers, lasagna, tacos, and cupcakes, you’re sure to find a vegan version of your old favorites within its pages.
With 100 recipes to choose from, Vegan Everything will take you from breakfast to dinner, with lots of snacks and sweets to take care of any cravings you have between meals. The recipes are made with easy-to-find ingredients, and they come together quickly. Who can say no to Super Bean Burgers, Polenta Lasagna, or Berry Cheesecake? Not me!
Chapters in Everything Vegan Include:
- Healthy Start
- Snacks & On the Go
- Quick Meals
- Wonder Bowls
- Cooking for Friends and Family
- Date-Night Dinners
- Party Hits
- Dips, Pesto, and More
- Sweet Stuff
Vegan Black Bean Brownies
I tend to crave chocolate, so the first recipe I made from Vegan Everything was the Mini Brownie Tart. Plus, it has a swirl of peanut and almond butters in it, and you can’t beat the combination of chocolate and peanut butter!
I’ve never made black bean brownies before, and but I’ve always wanted to give them a try. I love the idea of hiding healthy ingredients like beans and veggies in desserts to make them healthy.
In addition to being made with black beans, these brownies contain flaxseed, cocoa powder, chocolate, natural peanut butter, and almond butter. No flour is needed, so they’re naturally gluten-free.
How to Make Black Bean Brownies
It’s super easy to make this mini brownie tart!
- First, you mix together flaxseed and water and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Then, you mix together the coconut oil, black beans, sugar, baking powder, and salt until smooth.
- Next, you fold chopped chocolate into the batter. (I used chocolate chips.)
- Then, you pour the batter into the pan.
- You then mix together the nut butters and drizzle them onto the batter. You can use a fork or skewer to make a fancy pattern.
- Finally, you bake your brownies!
For me, the brownie batter was very thick, almost truffle like. I had to spread it out in the pan. The brownies baked up moist and chocolatey, so don’t worry if your batter is thick. No one will know they’re made with beans!
If you’re looking for vegan versions of your favorite comfort foods, Vegan Everything is the book for you!
Mini Brownie Tart
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1½ tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (200 g) cooked and drained black beans
- ⅓ cup (25 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons muscovado or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1¾ ounces (50 g) vegan chocolate
- 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a 6-inch (15 cm) springform pan with parchment paper.
- Stir 2 tablespoons water into the flaxseed in a small bowl. Cover and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Melt the coconut oil. Transfer to a food processor. Add the beans, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, and salt and process until smooth.
- Coarsely chop the chocolate and fold into the batter. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan.
- Mix together the peanut and almond butters and drizzle over the batter. Use a fork or wooden skewer to swirl the nut butters in a marbleized pattern across the batter.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until the batter is just set to the touch. Cool completely on a wire rack before unmolding and cutting.
Other chocolatey recipes you might enjoy include:
I have a copy of Vegan Everything for one lucky winner this week. Follow the instructions below to enter. U.S residents only, please. Contest ends at midnight on December 22nd. Good luck!