Cool cashew ranch dressing offsets the spiciness of hot sauce in these vegan Buffalo Soy Curl Wraps. Made with Butler Soy Curls, this wrap recipe is super easy to make. Enjoy these sandwiches for lunch or dinner! This recipe is vegan with a gluten-free option.
Buffalo Soy Curl Sub Sandwiches at The Sweet Hereafter
A few years ago my friend Jenna and I went to Portland, Oregon for Vida Vegan Con, the amazing vegan blogger conference that is sadly no more. Our friend Julie had moved there the previous year, and she was kind enough to pick us up at the airport and then take us to our hotel. After we were all checked in, she drove us to a place called The Sweet Hereafter for dinner. Jenna and I both ordered Buffalo Soy Curl Subs, and they were so good that we both though we really had died and gone to heaven.
Even thought it’s been years, I still think of that sandwich fondly. I’ve even made my own version of it at home a few times. I found myself craving it again recently, and I decided to use a large whole wheat tortilla to make a buffalo soy curl wrap, rather than use a large roll to make a sub.
Portland seemed to be the Land of the Soy Curl, but they’re difficult to find here on the East Coast. I usually buy them in bulk from Amazon. You can also buy them directly from Butler. I store in them in the fridge until I’m ready to cook with them. Soy curls can go rancid when left in the pantry or kitchen cabinet, so it’s best to refrigerate them.
How to Make Buffalo Soy Curl Wraps
This recipe is easy to make!
- First you dissolve the bouillon cube in the hot water. You re-constitute the soy curls by placing them in a bowl and pouring the broth over them. Let them sit for about 15 minutes. Once they’ve softened, you drain them.
- Next you heat a large pan over medium high heat and add the oil and the soy curls. You cook, stirring often, until they begin to brown, for about 10 minutes.
- Then you whisk together the hot sauce and the stock and add the mixture to the pan. You continue cooking the soy curls until most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 3 minutes
- Now you assemble your wraps! You place each tortilla on a flat surface and spread on about 2 tablespoons of the Cashew Ranch. Then you place 1/4 of soy curls on each wrap, about an inch from the bottom edge and two inches from the sides. Top with 1/4 cup of the shredded lettuce. Starting at the bottom, you carefully roll the wrap, tucking in the sides as you go.
If you follow a gluten-free diet, make sure your wraps are gluten-free. If you’re in the mood for something heartier, you can use a sandwich roll.
These Buffalo Soy Curl Wraps are great for lunch or a light dinner. They’re terrific for game day, too! To serve them as a snack at parties, slice the wraps about 2” thick and place a toothpick through each piece to insure they don’t fall apart. Serve them with extra ranch as dipping sauce and watch them disappear!
Buffalo Soy Curl Wraps
For the Buffalo Soy Curls
For the wraps
- ½ cup Vegan Ranch Dressing
- 4 10-inch whole grain or gluten-free tortillas
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
Dissolve the bouillon cube in the hot water. Re-constitute the soy curls by placing them in a bowl and pouring the broth over them. Let them sit for about 15 minutes. Once they’ve softened, drain them. The stock can be saved and used later, if you like.
Heat a large pan over medium high heat, and add the oil and the soy curls. Cook, stirring often, until they begin to brown. This will take about 10 minutes or so.
Whisk together the hot sauce and the stock and add the mixture to the pan. Continue cooking the soy curls until most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 3 minutes
To make assemble the wraps, place the tortilla on a flat surface and spread on about 2 tablespoons of the Cashew Ranch.
Place a quarter of the soy curls on each wrap, about an inch from the bottom edge and two inches from the sides. Top with 1/4 cup of the shredded lettuce. Starting at the bottom, carefully roll the wrap, tucking in the sides as you go.
Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
More spicy Buffalo recipes you might enjoy include:
- Vegan Richa’s Buffalo Chickpea Tacos
- Spicy Buffalo Cauliflower Bites
- Buffalo Tempeh Salad
- Epic Vegan Buffalo Chicken Lasagna
- Buffalo Potato Nuggets
- Vegan Buffalo Chickpea Dip