A Cherry Smoothie Bowl is a refreshing way to start your day! Made with just a few ingredients, it comes together in a matter of minutes, making it the ultimate breakfast! It’s perfect for a mid-afternoon snack or even dessert, too! This super easy recipe is vegan and gluten-free.
Cherry Smoothie Bowl
Cherries are my favorite fruit. I just can’t get enough of them when they’re in season during the summer months. My favorite ways of enjoying them in include adding them to desserts, enjoying them with yogurt, or just eating them in a big bowl with a little sweet cashew cream. I especially love having them for breakfast in smoothies or smoothie bowls, like this one.
Cherries and chocolate are the ultimate flavor combo, but sometimes I like to mix things up. Cherries also pair really well with almonds, so I use almond extract and slivered almonds here. If you want to add a little chocolate to your bowl, throw on a few chocolate chips, or add cacao powder to your smoothie mixture.
This smoothie bowl can be made in just a matter of minutes, so the old “I don’t have time for breakfast” excuse isn’t really valid anymore. If your mornings are super busy, you can even make this the night before and store in the fridge in grab-and-go container so that you can take it with it you. Just don’t forget a spoon!
Frozen bananas make this cherry smoothie bowl thick creamy, almost like ice cream, and I’ve added a little flax seed meal to thicken it further. I like to add Vega One protein powder to my bowl to give it a little extra oomph, but it’s totally optional.
What’s a Smoothie Bowl?
A smoothie bowl is just what is sounds like – a smoothie served in bowl form! It’s thicker than the usual smoothie, so it’s spoonable rather than drinkable. It’s kind of like the halfway point between a smoothie and nice cream. Because it’s thicker, you can add lots of toppings, and they won’t sink to the bottom.
How to make a Cherry Smoothie Bowl
This recipe is super easy to make!
- First you combine the frozen cherries, frozen bananas, almond milk, flax seeds, and protein powder, if using in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. It whips up in seconds in my Blendtec.
- Then you divide up the mixture between two bowls and top each with the fresh cherries, slivered almonds, and cacao nibs.
How to customize your smoothie bowl
You can easily make this recipe your own.
- If, like me, you like chocolate with your cherries, you can add a tablespoon or two of cacao powder or chocolate flavored protein powder.
- Strawberries or blueberries can be used in the place of cherries.
- If you have a nut allergy, you can use soy milk instead of almond milk, vanilla extract instead of almond extract, and top your bowl with sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds instead of slivered almonds.
- You can add more toppings to bowl. Try hemp seeds, banana slices, shredded coconut, or granola.
- Add a handful or two of baby greens, like spinach or kale, to give your bowl a nutritional boost.
Cherry Almond Smoothie Bowl
- 16 ounce package frozen cherries
- 2 bananas frozen
- 1 cup almond milk
- ¼ cup vegan protein powder optional
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/3 cup fresh cherries pitted
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- ¼ cup cacao nibs
- Add the frozen cherries, bananas, almond milk, protein powder (if using), flax seeds, and almond extract to a blender, and process until smooth.
- Divide the mixture between two bowls. Top with the fresh cherries, slivered almonds, and cacao nibs.
More cherry recipes you might enjoy include:
- Chocolate Cherry Nice Cream
- Vanilla Cherry Smoothie
- Chocolate Cherry Smoothie
- Vegan Chocolate Cherry Chia Pudding Parfaits
- Chocolate Cherry Overnight Oats