All of the signs of autumn are here – mum’s sitting on my neighbor’s porches, pumpkins standing outside the grocery store, red and yellow leaves carpeting my lawn – but the temperatures have been unseasonably high here on the East Coast. I even had to turn the air conditioner on to cool off a few days ago!
Despite the hot weather, I find myself craving warming, fall like foods. I just love hearty and comforting curries in the cooler months, and this recipe satisfies my needs.
Curried Coconut Spinach & Chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium-sized onion , diced
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ tablespoons thai red curry paste
- 2 tablespoons grated ginger
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, more to taste
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped or one 14-ounce can
- 1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas or one 15-ounce can, drained
- 14- ounce can coconut milk
- 1 pound baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Baked sweet potatoes, baked russet potatoes, or cooked brown rice, for serving
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes, until it begins to brown.
- Add the garlic, ginger, curry paste, red pepper flakes, cumin, black pepper, and sea salt, and cook for another 2 or 3 minutes, until the mixture becomes fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, coconut milk, chickpeas, to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add the spinach to the pot and stir until it’s wilted.
- Add the lemon juice and sea salt and give it one last stir.
- Serve hot over baked sweet potatoes, baked russet potatoes, or cooked brown rice.
If you liked this Curried Coconut Spinach & Chickpeas recipe, you may also enjoy:
- Pumpkin Curry
- Thai Green Curry with Green Beans and Sweet Potatoes
- Mango Tempeh Curry
- Smoky Kale and Chickpeas with Miso Peanut Drizzle