I’m not into sports at all, but I’ve been told that there’s some sort of big game on this weekend. I’ve also been told that there will lots of snacking at various veiwing parties across the nation while this game is on. One of my go-to party snacks is this super easy and yet extremely tasty vegan Five Layer Dip. I’ve even had omnivore friends make this vegan version for their own parties because they know it tasts so good. My guests always expect this dip when I throw a party, and I’m now afraid that if I don’t make it, there will be an uprising!
Vegan Five Layer Dip is Easy to Make
I use pre-made refried beans, vegan sour cream, guacamole, and salsa, which means that making this dip is as easy as opening containers and assembling it. Of course, if you’re feeling adventurous, you can make your own. Usually, when I make this dip, I’m making several other snacks and appetizers, so having one thing that doesn’t require too much effort is really appealing.
When buying refried beans, be sure to check the ingredients to make sure they’re vegetarian. Sometimes nasty ingredients like lard can sneak in. I like to use Amy’s refried beans. I usually use Tofutti sour cream when I make this. For some reason they have two kinds – one made with hydrogenated oil and one without. Always make sure you don’t get the one with the hydrogenated oil, because it can wreak havoc with the digestive system.
If you want to add more layers to make this a six or seven (or even eight!) layer dip, it would be great with a layer of lettuce, another with olives, and even some fresh tomatoes.
Five Layer Dip
- 15 ounce can of vegetarian refried beans
- 12 ounce container of vegan sour cream
- 12 ounce container of guacamole
- 16 ounce jar of salsa,
- 1 cup shredded vegan cheese, cheddar or Monterrey jack
- Carefully spread each layer in a large, flat glass bowl or dish. Start with the refried beans at the bottom. The next layer should be the sour cream. The third layer should be guacamole, and the fourth should be salsa. (Layering the guacamole next to the salsa keeps it from oxidizing and turning brown.) Top with a layer of shredded cheese. Serve with organic tortilla chips and watch it disappear!
If you enjoyed this Vegan Five Layer Dip, you may also enjoy: