A few years ago, I was sent some soy feta samples to try, and I quickly became addicted. I made greek-style salads for lunch for weeks on end. When I ran out, I was able to find the vegan cheese at both my local Whole Foods and Fairway Market, but either both stores discontinued it or the manufacturer started making it. Earlier this year I decided to try to make my own feta using tofu. The end result wasn’t a 100% match for feta, but it had a nice taste and worked well with my favorite salad.
This Greek-Inspired Salad is my go-to lunch in the warmer months. I love pilling a big plate of greens high with ripe cherry tomatoes, tangy olives, sliced cucumber, toasted pistachios, and tofu feta and then drizzling the whole thing in tahini dressing. It makes a great light dinner.
My Greek-Style Pizza with Tofu Feta recipe is actually based on this salad, and is pretty much the same dish in pizza form.
Greek-Inspired Salad with Tofu Feta and Tahini Dressing
Loaded with vegetables and tofu feta and drenched in tahini, this Greek-Inspired Salad is a perfect light meal for warm evenings. It's one of my favorite summertime meals.
- 1 pound extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon mellow white miso
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
For the Salad
- 6 cups romaine lettuce, shredded (about 1 large head or two small heads)
- 2 cups baby spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 cup cucumber, chopped
- 12-14 ounce can or jar artichoke hearts, quartered (not the oil packed kind)
- 4 or 6 pepperoncini peppers, sliced
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1/3 cup kalamata olives, chopped
- 1/3 cup toasted pistachios, chopped
Make the Tofu Feta
Crumble the tofu into large chunks and place in a shallow bowl or baking dish.
Mix together the rest of the ingredients and whisk until smooth.
Pour the lemon juice mixture over the tofu. Toss gently to combine.
Place the dish of tofu in the fridge for several hours or overnight. The longer it sits, the better the flavor.
Make the Tahini Dressing
Mix all ingredients together until smooth.
Set aside until ready to use. Sauce will thicken after sitting for a while. Add water when ready to use, if necessary.
Assemble the Salad
Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl.
Top the salad with the tahini dressing, and toss to coat. Add the tofu feta.
Divide salad into 4 bowls and enjoy!
If you enjoyed this Greek-Inspired Salad, you might also like:
- Roasted Beet and Citrus Salad
- Stir-Fry Inspired Salad
- Asian-Inspired Mandarin Orange Salad
- Tempeh Fajita Salad