Vegan Lasagna Tart, made with cashew ricotta and slices of fresh zucchini, is always a crowd pleaser. It's a great main dish for date night, dinner parties, and holidays, or even just a random Friday night. This easy recipe is dairy free.
Vegan Lasagna Tart
We tend to think of lasagna as being made with noodles, but it doesn't have to be so. In the place of pasta, I sometimes use butternut squash, zucchini, or even tortillas. This tart isn't a traditional lasagna, because it's made with slices of zucchini and cashew ricotta in a pie shell, but it has all of the delicious flavor of the classic dish.
This lasagna tart is super easy to make, and is a little fancier than regular lasagna, so you can impress all of your friends at a dinner party or a potluck with it. I've served it many times, and it's always been a hit. Friends have told me that the cashew ricotta tastes better than what they remember of dairy ricotta.
I originally based this recipe on a dish I saw on 101 Cookbooks.
How to Make a Vegan Lasagna Tart
This recipe is very easy to make!
- First you combine the crust ingredients in a bowl. Kneed them until they're well mixed.
- Next you roll the crust out onto a lightly floured surface, until it's about 13 inches across.
- Then you gently lift the crust and place it in a light oiled pie pan and press it down into all of the corners. Trim away any excess dough.
- Bake the crust in a 350° oven for 5 minutes.
- Next you spread half of the Cashew Ricotta inside the crust and layer half of the zucchini slices on top of it. Top with the rest of the ricotta and half of the sauce.
- You now layer on the rest of the zucchini slices and top them with the rest of the sauce.
- Bake your tart for 40 minutes, and allow it to cool for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing it.
How to Customize Your Lasagna Tart
- When making this recipe, I like to use my own Cashew Ricotta, but if you're pressed for time, you can use a store-bought vegan ricotta, such as Kite Hill.
- If you don't feel like making your own crust, you can use a vegan store-bought pie crust.
- You can add slices of mushrooms or fresh tomatoes in with the zucchini, if you like.
- If you have vegan mozzarella on hand, you can top your tart with it in the last 15 minutes of baking.
Vegan Lasagna Tart
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup cold water
- 2 cups cashew ricotta
- 2 medium zucchini sliced into thin disks
- 1½ cups prepared tomato sauce (one 25 ounce jar)
- Pre-heat your oven to 350° F, and lightly oil a 9- or 10-inch pie pan or tart pan.
- Place all of the crust ingredients in a large bowl and kneed them together until well mixed. Form a large ball with the dough.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface until it’s about 13 inches across. Gently pick up the dough and place in the pie pan. Press it down into all of the corners and trim away an excess dought that may be hanging over the edge of the pan. Bake for 5 minutes.
- Spread half of the ricotta inside the crust. Layer half of the zucchini on top of it and top with the rest of the ricotta. Top with half of the sauce. Layer on the rest of zucchini and pour the rest of the sauce on top.
- Bake your tart for 40 minutes. Allow it to sit for 5 or 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Other Lasagna Recipes You Might Enjoy Include:
- Spinach Mushroom Lasagna
- Lasagna Roll Ups
- Polenta Lasagna
- Lasagna Soup
- Vegan Buffalo Chicken Lasagna