Grilled Tofu Sandwich is piled high with avocado and pesto, and it’s bound to become a summertime favorite! Serve it for lunch at weekend barbecues or for dinner on busy weeknights. It also tastes great cold, so you can pack the sandwich and take it for lunch at the office or even on a picnic. This easy recipe is vegan with a gluten-free option.
Lemon-Rosemary Grilled Tofu Sandwich
Years ago I was invited to the grand opening of Blossom du Jour’s Chelsea location. It was a small “fast food” chain from the owners of Blossom restaurant. They had sandwiches and salads, and everything was just as delicious as the upscale food at Blossom. One of the sandwiches they served us was the Un-Chicken Avocado Griller. It was made with grilled lemon-rosemary vegan chick’n, avocado, vegan mayo, and lettuce sandwiched between two halves of a crusty bun. The combination avocado and pesto had me hooked.
After that, every time I found myself near a Blossom du Jour in Manhattan I would nip in and order an Un-Chicken Avocado Griller. If I wasn’t hungry, I’d take it to go and save it for later. It’s kind of silly that I would always order for the same thing, because the entire menu was vegan, and eating there was always treat. But the sandwich was that good.
Sadly, it seems like Blossom du Jour, like many other restaurants, was a victim of the pandemic. I don’t think any of them are still open. But several years ago I started recreating my favorite sandwich at home using tofu, so I’m still able to enjoy a version of it.
How to Make Your Grilled Tofu Sandwich
This recipe is super easy to make!
- First you mix together the marinade ingredients.
- You place the tofu slices in shallow the dish and pour the mixture over it. Allow your tofu to marinate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Then you cook the tofu on a grill heated to medium low for 10 to 15 minutes. Flip your tofu at the halfway point.
- Assemble your sandwiches by spreading about a teaspoon of mayonnaise on the bottom half of each roll, then layering on the lettuce, two pieces of tofu, avocado slices, and the spinach pesto.
How to Customize Your Grilled Tofu Sandwich
You can easily make this recipe your own!
- If you don’t want to grill your tofu, you can use baked instead.
- You can use chick’un patties or tempeh instead of tofu.
- If you don’t like pesto, you can use hummus or white bean dip.
- The heartier the roll, the better. If you follow a gluten-free diet, make sure your bun is gluten-free.
Super Firm Tofu
Blossom du Jour’s sandwich is made with a vegan chick’n patty. I’ve made my sandwich with super firm tofu, which holds up nicely on the grill. If you can’t find super firm, try using extra firm, and press it overnight. You can also use a vegan chic’n patty – Gardein’s Chick’n Scallopini works great in this recipe.
I like to use my homemade spinach pesto in this recipe. You can also use you can use my arugula pesto. If you don’t want to make your own, you can use store-bought dairy-free pesto. I like Gotham Greens Vegan Pesto and Trader Joe’s Vegan Kale, Cashew, and Basil Pesto.
Grilled Tofu Sandwich with Lemon and Rosemary
For the Marinade
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Mix all of the marinade ingredients together in a small bowl. Place the tofu in a flat baking dish and pour the marinade over them. Let the tofu sit for two hours to overnight
- Lightly oil and heat the grill. Place the tofu on the grill and let cook between 10 to 15 minutes, until heated throughout, flipping halfway through. Grill the rolls for the last minute or two.
- Assemble the sandwiches by spreading about a teaspoon of mayonnaise on the bottom half of each roll, then layering on the lettuce, two pieces of tofu, avocado slices, and 2 tablespoons of the spinach pesto.
- Serve while the tofu is hot.
Other Grilled Sandwich Recipes You Might Enjoy Include:
- Eggplant Wraps with Spicy Tahini
- Grilled Ratatouille Sandwich
- Grilled Eggplant Sandwich
- Portobello Sandwiches with Pesto and Peaches
Other Tofu Recipes You Might Like Include:
- Peanut Satay Tofu Triangles recipe from 5-Ingredient Vegan by Nava Atlas
- Cornmeal Crusted Tofu
- Za’atar Tofu
- Grilled Tofu Skewers