Your day will be off to an amazing start when you begin it with Vegan Huevos Rancheros! It's made with tofu, black beans, seitan, and a spicy rancheros sauce. This deliciously healthy dairy free dish perfect for breakfast, brunch, and brinner. The recipe is from Chloe Flavor by Chloe Coscarelli and it's super easy to make!
Vegan Huevos Rancheros
If you’ve been reading my blog for a while, you’ll know that breakfast foods are my favorite foods. So it only makes sense that I hit up the brunch and breakfast chapter of Chloe Flavor when it first arrived. I had a hard time choosing what dish to make first. Do I go with the Smoky Grits & Greens or the Breakfast Scramble with Maple Sausage Links? In the end I decided on Vegan Huevos Rancheros.
Vegan Huevos Rancheros is kind of like deconstructed breakfast tacos. In this dish, crumbled tofu is cooked to perfection along with black beans, ground seitan, and baby spinach. It’s then served with tortillas and drenched in a savory tomato ranchero sauce and drizzled with lime sour cream. This, my friends, is breakfast perfection.
Along with some of the other myths about veganism, there is also a misconception that tofu is bland and boring. This dish really shows off just how versatile tofu is, and it will win over any skeptics.
What You Need
Don't let this long list fool you. This recipe is easy to make!
- Fire-roasted tomatoes
- Fresh cilantro
- Lime juice
- Sea salt
- Olive oil
- Black beans
- Extra-firm tofu
- Ground seitan
- Nutritional yeast
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Taco seasoning
- Ground turmeric
- Baby spinach
- Black pepper
- Soft corn tortillas
- Silken tofu
See the recipe card for exact amounts.
Prepping your Tofu
Make sure you press your tofu to remove the excess water before cutting the tofu in this recipe. To do this, wrap your tofu in a towel and put something heavy on top of it, such as a cast iron pan or a cutting board topped with a few cans of beans.
If you give yourself enough time in advance, you can wrap your tofu in a towel and place it in the fridge for a few hours or overnight. There’s no need to place anything heavy on top of it, as the towel will absorb the excess liquid over time.
You can also use a tofu press, such as the TofuXpress, if you have one.
How to make Vegan Huevos Rancheros
This recipe is super easy to make!
- First you combine all of the rancheros sauce ingredients together in a blender and then allow it to simmer in a pot on the stovetop.
- Then you cook the onion for 5 to 7 minutes, until softened.
- Next you add the beans, tofu, and seitan and cook for a few more minutes more.
- Now you add the nutritional yeast, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, taco seasoning, and turmeric and cook for about 1 minute more.
- You can add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if the tofu becomes dry.
- Next you reduce the heat to medium-low and add the spinach.
- Heat your tortillas while the mixture is cooking.
- To assemble your rancheros, you layer a few large spoonfuls of scramble on top of each tortilla, then top with Ranchero Sauce. Drizzle with lime sour cream and garnish with a few avocado slices and some cilantro.
I’ve been a fan of Chloe Coscarelli’s since she won Food Network’s Cupcake Wars years ago. Her first cookbook, Chloe’s Kitchen, has gotten a lot of use in my house, so I was excited to start cooking from her newest cookbook, Chloe Flavor.
Despite the fact that veganism has been gaining popularity over the years, there are some who still think that plant-based food is bland and that all vegans eat is salad. We vegans know that’s just not true, and Chloe Coscarelli is here to set the record straight with Chloe Flavor.
As you might have guess by the title, the recipes in Chloe Flavor are full of bold flavors. These are the kinds of dishes that will win die-hard carnivores over to our side. Sure there are a few salad recipes, but there are also recipes for hearty sandwiches, substantial main dishes, and luscious desserts.
Chloe uses spices, seasonings, and sauces to create incredibly delicious recipes, such as Smoky Grits & Greens, Mango-Guacamole Crunch Burgers, and Sea Salted Chocolate Chunk Cookies. The dishes are all easy to make and, of course, fun to eat.
Chapters in Chloe Flavor
Chloe’s fun-loving personality shines through throughout the book. Just look at these chapter titles!
- But First – Breakfast and Brunch
- Go-Withs – Snacks and Sides
- Stir & Toss – Soups and Salads
- Hold On – Sandwiches, Burgers, and Tacos
- Oh, the Pastabilities – Noodles ( Pasta
- Fork It – Bowls and Plated Dishes
- Sippin’ On… – Cocktails, Smoothies, and Drinks
- Sweet Yo’ Self – Dessert
If you want to create boldly flavored dishes that everyone will love, you need Chloe Flavor in your life!
- 1 15-ounce can whole or crushed fire-roasted tomatoes with their juices
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro plus more for garnish
- 1 jalapeno seeded
- 1 tablespoon agave
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil plus more as needed
- ¾ cup diced onion
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 (16-ounce) package extra-firm tofu drained, patted dry, and lightly crumbled
- 8 ounces ground seitan
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon taco seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 cups 4 ounces baby spinach
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 small soft corn tortillas
- Lime Sour Cream (recipe follows)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Make the Ranchero Sauce: In a blender or food processor, combine the tomatoes and their juices, onion, garlic, cilantro, jalapeno, agave, lime juice, and salt and blend until smooth. Transfer to a small saucepan and warm over medium-low heath. Gently simmer until ready to serve.
- Make the Scramble: In a large nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. When it shimmers, add the onion and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until softened. Add the beans, tofu, and seitan and cook for a few minutes more, until lightly browned. Add the nutritional yeast, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, taco seasoning, and turmeric and cook for about 1 minute more, until fragrant. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if the tofu becomes dry. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the spinach, stirring until just wilted. Taste and season with pepper.
- To assemble, heat a tortilla in a pan over medium-high heat or by placing it directly on the burner over medium-low heat for about 20 to 30 seconds on each side, using tongs to flip. Layer a few large spoonfuls of scramble on top of the tortilla, then top with Ranchero Sauce. Drizzle with lime sour cream and garnish with a few avocado slices and some cilantro. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
Lime Sour Cream
- 1 cup silken tofu
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- In a blender or food processor, combine all the ingredients and blend until smooth. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
More breakfast recipes you might enjoy include:
- Santa Fe Breakfast Quesadillas
- Vegan Breakfast Pizza
- Vegan Omelet with Asparagus and Feta
- Greek Frittata