Vegan Chickpea Cacciatore is what’s for dinner! It’s ready when you are when it’s cooked in the slow cooker. A vegan take on the classic chicken cacciatore, this easy recipe is both meatless and gluten-free. There are stove-top instructions included, too.
I remember chicken cacciatore being a favorite dish of mine when I was little, but for the life of me I can’t remember actually eating it. Perhaps I heard the word “cacciatore” somewhere and really liked the sound of it? Maybe my mom made some other dish and called it “cacciatore”? I will probably never know for sure. My guess is that there was some sort of jarred sauce that was poured over chicken and called “cacciatore” because it sounded exotic and exciting.
Most vegan versions of cacciatore are made with seitan, but I made this one is made with my old standby, chickpeas. It’s traditionally served over pasta, but I also like to serve it over brown rice or quinoa. You can also serve it over a big pile of creamy mashed potatoes, too.
What is Cacciatore?
Cacciatore traditionally doesn’t come from a jar. Actually, the word cacciatore means “hunter,” so a meal alla cacciatora, means it’s prepared “hunter-style.” It usually consists of mean — typically chicken — that’s cooked with herbs, onions, tomatoes, and sometimes bell peppers. Sometimes wine is also added, and some versions of the dish include mushrooms.
How to Make Vegan Chickpea Cacciatore
This recipe is super easy to make in your slow cooker. You simply toss all of the ingredients in your slow cooker and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. It’s as easy as that!
I donated my slow cooker a few years ago after I received an Instant Pot. There were too many gadgets in my kitchen, and I was running out of space. I loved my slow cooker, but the Instant Pot has a slow cooker function, and I’ve never had any problems with it.
How to Cook Chickpea Cacciatore on the Stovetop
If you don’t have a slow cooker or instant pot, or if you don’t have 8 hours to wait for your meal, you can cook it on the stove top.
First you add a small amount of vegetable oil about 2 teaspoons or so, to a large pan and heat it over medium-high heat. You add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes, until it begins to brown.
Next you add the garlic, mushrooms, and bell pepper, and cook until they soften, about 10 minutes or so.
Then you add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine everything. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook for about 10 more minutes, until the sauce reduces slightly.
How to Customize Your Cacciatore
It’s easy to make this recipe you’re own!
- If you don’t like chickpeas, you can use seitan or baked tofu instead. (Regular tofu may fall apart in the slow cooker.)
- Mushrooms not your thing? Leave them out!
- Mushrooms really your thing? You can replace the chickpeas with thick slices of portobellos instead.
- If you’d like to add wine your dish, you can use either red or white instead of the vegetable stock.
Slow Cooker Vegan Chickpea Cacciatore
- Slow Cooker
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 5 ounces crimini or white button mushrooms sliced (6 to 8 mushrooms)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 14 ounce can chickpeas
- 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in slow cooker and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Server over pasta, brown rice or quinoa.
More Chickpea Recipes You Might Enjoy Include:
- Chickpea Peanut Stew
- Chickpea Pot Pie from The Truly Healthy Vegan Cookbook
- Coconut-Peanut Butter Chickpea and Broccoli Stir-Fry
- Smoky Kale and Chickpeas with Miso Peanut Drizzle
- Curried Coconut Spinach and Chickpeas from Bold Flavored Vegan Cooking by Celine Steen
More Slow Cooker Meals You Might Like Include:
- Slow Cooker Seitan Stew
- Kung Pao from The Vegan Slow Cooker by Kathy Hester
- Black Eyed Pea Chili from The Plant-Based Slow Cooker by Robin Robertson
- Slow Cooker Curry with Tofu and Veggies