Made with savory Soy Curls and spicy kimchi, these easy-to-make Soy Curl and Kimchi Tacos are perfect for busy weeknights, and they’re sure to become a Taco Tuesday favorite! This easy recipe is a vegan take on Korean beef tacos. It’s vegan and gluten-free.
As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I’ve recently become addicted to kimchi. It all started after Dennis had to take antibiotics, and I bought kimchi and sauerkraut to help him rebuild his body’s beneficial bacteria. Since they’re both fermented, they are good probiotic foods.
I’ve been buying jar’s of Mother-In-Law’s Vegan Napa Cabbage Kimchi, and we’ve been adding it to pretty much everything we eat. It’s pretty spicy, but if heat’s not your thing, they also Vegan Napa Cabbage Kimchi, which has a mild flavor. There are other great brands out there too, but be sure to read the label before buying, as not all kimchis are vegan. It’s often made with shrimp and fish sauce. (Ewww!)
Another favorite of mine is Butler’s Soy Curls. Soy Curls are made from whole, non-gmo soybeans, and they’re minimally processed. They have a meaty texture that’s similar to seitan, so they’re a good option for those who follow a gluten-free diet. They soak up marinades and sauces well, and they’re terrific in just about everything from stir-fries to sandwiches.
Where to Buy Soy Curls
I can’t find Soy Curls in any store in my area, so I like to buy them in bulk from Amazon. You a also buy them directly from Butler Foods. Since they are minimally processed soy beans, they can get rancid if they sit in a hot pantry or kitchen cupboard for too long, so I like to store them in the fridge.
While I was in the beginning stages of my kimchi-eating frenzy, I Googled recipes and discovered that kimchi tacos are a thing. They’re usually made with beef, and since soy curls are usually a good stand-in for beef in vegan recipes, I decided to do a little experimenting. I’ve played with my recipe a few times, and I’m now quite happy with the results. Soy Curl and Kimchi Tacos are now a Taco Tuesday regular here!
How to Make Vegan Soy Curl and Kimchi Tacos
These tacos are easy to make!
- First you reconstitute the Soy Curls.
- While the Soy Curls are soaking, you whisk together the sauce ingredients.
- Then you mix together the spicy mayo.
- Once the Soy Curls have softened, you cook them in a pan over medium-high heat until they brown.
- Next you add the sauce to the pan and cook for just 2 or 3 minutes, until it heats throughout.
- Finally, you assemble your tacos by placing a little of the spicy mayo on each tortilla and topping it with the Soy Curls, kimchi, avocado, and scallions.
These Soy Curl and Kimchi Tacos are pretty spicy. If you’re sensitive to heat, feel free to use less garlic chili paste or sriracha – they’ll be just as tasty.
If you follow a gluten-free diet, make sure there’s no wheat in your corn tortillas.
I use Edward and Sons Not-Beef Bouillon Cubes when making these tacos. Vegetarian Better Than Bouillon No Beef Base will also work well. If you can’t find either of them, just use a regular vegan bouillon cube.
I hope you enjoy these tacos as much as Dennis and do. Warning—they are addictive!
Soy Curl and Kimchi Tacos
- 4 ounces Soy Curls (half a package)
- 2 1/2 cups hot water, divided
- ¼ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons garlic chili paste or sriracha, divided
- 1 vegan Not-Beef Bouillon Cube or 1 teaspoon Better Than Bouillon No Beef Base*
- ¼ cup tamari
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon neutral vegetable oil
- 6 corn tortillas warmed
- 2 cups kimchi coarsely chopped
- 2 scallions sliced
- 1 avocado diced
- Re-constitute the soy curls by placing them in a bowl and pouring 2 cups of hot water over them. Let them sit for about 15 minutes. Once they’ve softened, drain them and squeeze some of the excess water out of them.
- While the soy curls are soaking, whisk together the remaining 1/2 cup of hot water, the vegan “beef” bouillon, tamari, rice vinegar, garlic, ginger, and 1 tablespoon of garlic chili paste or sriracha in a small bowl. Then whisk in the cornstarch. Set aside until ready to use.
- In another small bowl, mix together the vegan mayonnaise and 2 tablespoons of garlic chili paste or sriracha. Set aside until ready to use.
- Place the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the soy curls and cook, stirring frequently, until they’ve begun to brown and crisp around the edges a little, about 10 minutes
- Pour the “beef” bouillon mixture over the soy curls and stir to coat them all. Turn the heat down and allow the sauce to thicken slightly. This will only take 2 or 3 minutes.
- To serve the tacos, place some of the soy curls in on a tortilla with the spicy mayo. Top with the kimchi, scallions, and avocado. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and soy curls.
Other Soy Curl recipes you might enjoy include:
- Vegan Chicken Salad made with Soy Curls
- Sweet and Sour Soy Curls
- Buffalo Soy Curls Wrap
- Vegan Shawarma with Soy Curls
- Kung Pao Soy Curls
- Soy Curl Marsala