Need a quick and easy dinner for busy weeknights? Look no further than this super easy black bean tostada. Dinner's ready in just about twenty minutes! This recipe is super easy to make and it's easy to customize to your liking. It's vegan and gluten-free.
Vegan Black Bean Tostada
Since they're so simple, you probably don't need a recipe for tostadas, but I wanted to show just how super quick and easy it is to make a weeknight meal. Health coaching clients often tell them that they don't have time to cook dinner. This dish comes together in less time that it would take to drive down to the local fast food place to pick up take-out. I haven't calculated the cost, but I'm sure it's less expensive, too!
I threw this meal together one weeknight years ago when time slipped away from me Dennis was about to head out to a meeting, and I didn't want him to have to wait until he got home to eat. I took a look at what was in the pantry and decided to whip up some tostadas. I chopped the lettuce, tomato and avocado while the beans, canned tomatoes and onions were cooking, and I think I was able to get the whole meal prepared in less than twenty minutes. Easy peasy!
What is a Tostada?
The word “tostada” means toasted in Spanish. Tostada the food gets its name from the fact that the tortillas they’re made with are toasted beforehand.
Tostadas are sort of a flat taco, and they tend to topped with the same types of ingredients, such as beans, cheese, and chopped lettuce. Sometimes they're served as an appetizer, other times they're the main dish.
What You Need
You only need a few ingredients to make this easy recipe!
- Neutral-flavored vegetable oil
- Black beans
- Diced tomatoes
- Chili powder
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- Corn tortillas
- Romaine lettuce
- Cashew cheese sauce
- Hot sauce
See the recipe card for exact amounts.
How to Make Black Bean Tostadas
This recipe comes together in a flash!
- First you cook the onion, garlic, and jalapeño in the oil at medium-high heat for about 5 minutes.
- Then you add the beans, diced tomatoes, and spices to the pan and cook for another 5 minutes.
- While the beans are cooking, you warm the tortillas in your oven.
- You assemble the tostadas by topping each tortilla with some of the bean mixture, lettuce, tomato, avocado, cashew cheese, and hot sauce.
It's super easy to make this recipe your own.
- If you prefer pinto beans, you can use them instead of black beans.
- If you follow a gluten-free diet, make sure your tortillas are gluten-free.
- You can turn up the heat by using more red pepper flakes. If you're sensitive to heat you can remove them.
- I like to top my tostadas with homemade cashew cheese sauce, but you can use store bought if you don't feel like making it. Try Kite Hill's Queso.
- Top your tostada with guacamole, non-dairy sour cream, salsa, pickled jalapeños, or whatever your favorite toppings are!
Super Easy Black Bean Tostada
- 1 teaspoon neutral-flavored vegetable oil
- 1 red onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 15-ounce can beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 8- or 9-inch corn tortillas
- 4 cups chopped romaine
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 avocado chopped
- ½ cup cashew cheese sauce or store-bought non-dairy cheese
- hot sauce for serving, optional
- Heat the oil in a large large pan over medium heat. Add the oil, onion, garlic, and jalapeño pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the the beans, tomatoes, chili powder, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes to the pan. Cook for about 5 more minutes, until the mixture heated throughout.
- Warm up your tortillas by placing them in a 250° oven for about 5 minutes while the bean mixture is cooking.
- Lay the tortillas on 4 plates. Divide the bean mixture up and spread on top of the tortillas. Top each tostada with romaine, tomatoes, avocado, cashew cheese, and hot sauce, if using.
Top your tostada with
More Black Bean Recipes You Might Like Include:
- Black Bean Burgers with Roasted Garlic Aioli
- Sweet Potato and Black Bean Taquitos
- Double-Shelled Black Bean Tacos
- Black Bean Mango Salad