Since they’re so simple, you probably don’t need a recipe for tostadas, but I wanted to show just how super quick and easy it is to make a weeknight meal. This dish comes together in less time that it would take to drive down to the local fast food place to pick up take-out. It probably works out to be cheaper too!
I threw this meal together one weeknight when time slipped away from me and Dennis was about to head out to a meeting. I didn’t want him to have to wait until he got home to eat, so I took a look at what was in the pantry and decided to whip up some tostadas. I chopped the lettuce, tomato and avocado while the beans, canned tomatoes and onions were cooking, and I think I was able to get the whole meal prepared in less than twenty minutes. Easy peasy!
Super Easy Black Bean Tostada
- 1 teaspoon neutral vegetable oil
- 1 red onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 15- ounce can black beans
- 1 15- ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 8- or 9-inch tortillas
- 4 cups chopped romaine
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- Avocado chopped
- 1/2 cup cashew cheese sauce
- Hot sauce
- In a large skillet or pan over medium heat, add the oil, onion, garlic, and jalapeño pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the the beans, tomatoes, chili powder, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Cook for about 10 more minutes, until it's heated throughout.
- Warm up your tortillas by placing them in a 250° oven for about 5 minutes while the bean mixture is cooking.
- Lay the tortillas on 4 plates. Divide the bean mixture up and spread on top of the tortillas. Top each tostada with romaine, tomatoes, avocado, cashew cheese, and hot sauce. Serve hot.