Vegan Super Quinoa Burgers from The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet by Joni Marie Newman are super in many ways – they're super easy to make, super delicious, and super nutritious! This homemade veggie burger patty recipe is made with quinoa, beans, peas, and spice. It's vegan and gluten-free.
Super Quinoa Burgers
When I first gave up meat, there weren’t too many pre-made veggie burgers available. Green Giant made one, and it was just a little better than the cardboard box it came in. Despite the bland flavor, I bought them often and got creative with different toppings. There was also a really tasty burger from Yves, but I would have to drive to the mall to get them from the closet-sized health food store that used to be sandwiched between Sbarro and Macy’s.
Back then, I hadn’t even thought to make my own veggie burgers. It would have been too daunting of a task. What are they made with? How do I cook them? I’ve learned a lot since then, and I now know that making homemade veggie burgers is pretty easy. And thanks to Joni Marie Newman, there are dozens of ways to make them!
There are so many delicious burgers to choose from in Joni's book The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet, that I wasn't sure where to start! In the end, I went with Super Quinoa Burgers, simply because I had most of the ingredients on hand already.
How to Make Super Quinoa Burgers
This burger recipe was super easy to make.
- First you boil the vegetable broth.
- While it's starting to boil, you heat the uncooked quinoa in a dry pan until it begins to pop.
- Next you cook the quinoa in the broth until all the liquid is absorbed, about 12 minutes.
- Fluff your cooked quinoa with a fork and allow it to cool.
- Then youcombine the beans, peas, cashew powder, curry, ginger, tahini, and sesame oil together in a large bowl gently mushing the peas and beans. Don’t completely mash – chunky is good.
- Now you fold the quinoa into the mixture along with the cornstarch, salt, and pepper. Mix everything together well with your hands.
- Refrigerate the mixture for about 20 minutes, allowing it to firm up a little.
- Next you form the mixture into 8 patties.
- Panfry your patties in a smidge of oil in a pan until golden on each side, about 3 minutes per side.
Quinoa Burger Recipe Notes
- This recipe makes 8 burgers, and I found that they freeze well.
- Joni says these burgers don't hold up if they've been baked in the oven. She says panfrying is best.
- She also says that the mixture is tasty enough can be served as a side dish. Just omit the cornstarch and plop it on your plate!
Serving Your Super Quinoa Burgers
Joni suggests serving them with her Tahini Sauce on a bed of lettuce. I used my own Lemony Tahini Dressing, and I served the first few burgers on buns. They are a little on the soft size, so they slid out of the buns a little, but that didn't make them any less delicious! The leftovers were served with lettuce and big salads.
The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet
The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet is a revised version of Joni’s 2011 book of the same name. It contains more than 30 new recipes and features healthier options, and fewer processed ingredients. Joni’s also some new trends in the world of vegan cooking, including jackfruit and aquafaba.
This book is packed with over 100 vegan recipes, and I’m sure you’re wondering if it’s really possible to make that many veggie burgers. When you’re as creative as Joni is, the answer is yes there are!
Recipes range from traditional beefy kinds of burgers to veggie-based, bean-based, and gluten-free burgers. There are even breakfast burgers! Yes, burgers for breakfast! I’m looking forward to sinking my teeth a Denver Omelet Burger, and I can’t wait to try the Quiche Lorraine Burger!
If you find yourself craving fast food meals from your pre-vegan days, Joni can help. There’s a chapter dedicated to fast food favorites with recipes for The Better Mac, Filet without Fish, The Fake-O-Nator, Now That’s a Whopper! and more!
There are also recipes for everything you need for your burger! Make your own non-dairy mayo, mustard sauce, BBQ sauce, and even buns! You’ll find lots of recipes for sides, including classic fries and onion rings, too.
Joni also includes budget-friendly tips and instructions for making burgers in air fryers and slow cookers.
Chapters in The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet Include:
- Burgers for Breakfast
- Traditional Beef-y Burgers
- Bean-Based Burgers
- Tofu-Based Burgers
- Grain-Based Burgers
- Vegetable-Based Burgers
- Gluten-Free Burgers
- Fast Food Favorites
- Loose “Meat” Sandwiches
- Buns and Breads
- Fries and Sides
If you want to learn to make the most deliciously creative vegan burgers at home, then The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet is the book for you!
Super Quinoa Burger
- 1½ cups (355 ml) vegetable broth
- 1 cup (173 g) uncooked quinoa
- 1 can (15 ounces [425 g]) cannellini or navy beans rinsed and drained
- 2 cups (300 g) fresh or frozen green peas
- ½ cup (65 g) raw cashews ground into a fine powder
- 1 teaspoon green curry paste
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons (32 g) tahini paste
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) sesame oil
- ½ cup (64 g) cornstarch
- Salt and pepper
- Oil for frying
- Bring the vegetable broth to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a dry pan, heat the uncooked quinoa until it begins to pop (this will happen fairly quickly).
- Add the quinoa to the broth, and lower the heat to medium. Cover and cook for 12 minutes, or until all of the broth is absorbed. Remove from the heat, fluff with a fork, and let sit, uncovered, to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the beans, peas, cashew powder, curry, ginger, tahini, and sesame oil. Gently mush the peas and beans, but don’t completely mash; chunky is good.
- When the quinoa is cooled, fold it into the mixture and add the cornstarch and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well using your hands.
- Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes to thicken up a bit before forming into 8 patties.
- Panfry in a smidge of oil in a pan until golden on each side, about 3 minutes per side. These taste best panfried. The oven makes them too dry, and they won’t hold up well on a grill.
Text © 2011, 2019 Joni Marie Newman
If you enjoyed these quinoa burgers, you might also like these other Veggie Burgers:
- Black Bean Burgers with Roasted Garlic Aioli
- Baked Falafel Burgers
- Vegan Walnut Lentil Burgers
- Hajiki Tofu Burgers