Happy New Year! A lot of people begin the New Year by making resolutions. We’ve all been there – we take a vow to lose weight, exercise more or spend more time with our family. We start the year with great intentions, but then we quickly relapse into old habits. Most people have given up on their resolutions by Valentine’s Day. Why is it so hard to stick to those New Year’s resolutions?
Here are 6 Tips for Making New Year’s Resolutions that Stick:
- Write down your intentions and keep them in a visible place – Tape your list someplace where you can see it every day, like your bedroom mirror or the dashboard of your car.
- Get to the source of whatever is keeping you in a rut – Are you in a stressful relationship that causes you to eat a pint of So Delicious Cashew Milk Ice Cream every night? Are you stressed at work and feel too tired to exercise afterward? If you don’t tackle the root of the behavior, it will be much harder to accomplish your goal.
- Be clear about what your life would look like once you achieve your goal – If you resolve to go to the gym more, how will this benefit you? What will the future hold if you lose weight? Get connected to the result of your action, and you will be more likely to stick with your plan.
- Share your resolutions with friends and family – Hold each other accountable for achieving your goals. If you want to go to the gym more, have a friend call you two or three times a week to check on you or invite them to join you.
- Reward yourself with every little accomplishment – If your intention is to lose weight and you find that you’re losing 2 pounds a week, pamper yourself with a massage at the end of the month.
- Get support – Having support, accountability, and a plan will help you stick to your goals. A health coach (such as me!) can provide you with exactly what you need to stay on track.
Big changes do not require big leaps. Permanent change is more likely to happen gradually than through one big restrictive plan. My health coaching programs can help you make the changes need to get to your goals this year. Contact me to learn more or to schedule a complimentary breakthrough session.