Vegan Tofu Frittata is the perfect dish for Sunday brunch! It’s also a great meal to serve for breakfast on holidays. Serve it on Easter, Mother’s Day, Christmas, New Year’s Day, or anything you’re craving a savory brunch dish! It’s easily doubled, if you’re having guests. This easy recipe is vegan and gluten-free.
I love breakfast food. I’m a firm believer in Ron Swanson’s philosophy that “there has never been a sadness that can’t be cured by breakfast food.” Brunch is really the greatest invention, because it’s a great excuse to eat breakfast food for lunch. And of course, brinner is pure genius.
When it comes to breakfast foods, I opt for savory dishes over sweet ones. I’d rather eat a tofu scramble than a pancake, and I prefer avocado toast instead of waffles. Tofu frittatas are the ultimate in savory breakfast fare. They’re super easy to make, easy to customize, and super satisfying.
Vegan Frittata is a favorite dish for holiday breakfasts in my house. I like to assemble it the it the night before and leave it in the fridge overnight. In the morning, I pop it in the oven let it cook while I enjoy a cup of tea. It’s ready to eat when I am! It pairs perfectly with home fries or roasted potatoes.
Prepare Your Tofu
Make sure you press your tofu to remove the excess water before using it in this recipe. To do this, wrap your tofu in a towel and put something heavy on top of it, such as a cast iron pan or a cutting board topped with a few cans of beans. If you give yourself enough time in advance, you can wrap your tofu in a towel and place it in the fridge for a few hours or overnight. There’s no need to place anything heavy on top of it, as the towel will absorb the excess liquid over time. You can also use a tofu press, such as the TofuXpress, if you have one.
How to Make Tofu Frittata
This dish is super easy to make!
- First you sauté your onion. Then you add the mushrooms and zucchini.
- While the vegetables are cooking, you place the tofu, non-dairy milk, nutritional yeast, and spices in a food processor and mix until smooth.
- Thank you fold the vegetables into the tofu and pour the mixture into a small casserole dish.
- You bake your frittata for 40 to 45 minutes, and allow it to sit for a few more minutes before you slice it.
How to Customize your Vegan Tofu Frittata
It’s easy to change things up and make this recipe your own!
- You can swap out the mushroom and zucchini for different vegetables. Try broccoli, spinach, and bell peppers.
- If you’d like a quiche, you can pour the mixture into a pie crust. Bake it for the same amount of time.
Vegan Tofu Frittata
Vegan Tofu Frittata is the perfect dish for Sunday brunch! It's also a great meal to serve for breakfast on holidays. Serve it on Easter, Mother's Day, Christmas, New Year's Day, or anything you're craving a savory brunch dish!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red onion diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 zucchini diced
- 3 ounces crimini mushrooms chopped (6 to 8 mushrooms)
- 1 14-ounce package extra firm tofu drained and pressed
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup unsweetened, plain non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tomato diced
- 2 scallions chopped
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives chopped
Preheat oven to 375°F and lightly oil a small casserole dish.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes, until it softens. Add the mushrooms and zucchini and cook for about 5 more minutes, until the vegetables become soft.
In a food processor, mix together the tofu, non-dairy milk, nutritional yeast, cornstarch, basil, turmeric, cumin, sea salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes, if you’re using them. Process until smooth.
Fold the vegetables into the tofu mixture and spread into the casserole dish. Top with the chopped tomato, scallions and olives.
Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until the frittata is firm and golden brown.
Allow your frittata to rest for about 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
Other brunch recipes you might enjoy include: