Like most people, I used to make resolutions each new year. They were the typical resolutions that most people make: spend less, eat healthier, exercise more, yada yada yada. And like most people, I had pretty much abandoned them all by mid-February. One year I came to the realization that making resolutions without a plan to actually execute them is not the way to go. So now I set goals, write them down, and make a plan. Setting a goal is just the first part of the process. It’s important to have a plan to help bring that goal to fruition.
Here is my roadmap for successful goal setting. Follow these 10 tips, and reaching your goals will be a breeze!
10 Tips for Successful Goal Setting
- Write down what you want. Be clear on your intentions. Place a list of your goals in a place where you can see it often. You want to keep reminding yourself of what you want!
- Get specific. Write down exactly what you want in detail. Be clear about the way it will look. The more specific you are, the more likely it is that you will be able to achieve your goals. Use positive language, and your outcome will be positive!
- Get to your why. Why do want to reach those goals? What will change for you once your goal has been achieved? How different will your life be then from what it is like now?
- Break it down. In most cases, goals aren’t going be achieved in one fell swoop in one day. Take one thing at a time. Break your goals down into mini goals and set deadlines for each.
- Be realistic. Make sure your goals are actually achievable. Do you have enough time and energy to get these goals done?
- Get committed. You must be willing to work towards your goals, so check in with yourself to see how committed to them you really are. What can you do to stay motivated and inspired?
- Check for blocks. Is something stopping you for working toward your goal. What is it? How can you move past it?
- Set a date. Give yourself a deadline. Without an end-date, it’s likely that you’ll never finish. Mark your calendar with key dates and stick with them.
- Reward yourself. Give yourself a reward when you reach a goal. You deserve it!
- Get support. Having support, accountability, and a plan will help you stick to your goals. A health coach(such as me!) can provide you with exactly what you need to stay on track.
How do you ensure that your goals are reached?