Vegan nachos are the ultimate snack! They’re loaded with beans, veggies, and cashew cheese, and they’re perfect for movie night, game day viewing parties, and even holiday parties. This easy recipe is vegan and gluten-free, and it’s easy to customize your nachos to your tastes.
Nachos have always been a go-to snack for me. Back in the ’90s, when I still ate dairy products, I would buy jars of cheese sauce, heat them in the microwave, and chow down while watching first-run episodes of The X Files. I gave them up after going vegan, but once vegan cheese hit the market, I was back at it again. My nacho game was pretty lame back then, I have to admit. I would often shred blocks of cheese and toss them over tortilla chips with jalapeño slices, warming it all in the oven for a few minutes. Not bad, but not amazing, either.
These days, I pile my nachos high with all manner of ingredients, including diced avocado, sliced jalapeños, and spicy black beans. They’re a terrific snack for streaming X Files reruns, but I’ve been known to make them for lunch or dinner. too. I serve them with a big heaping serving of shredded lettuce on top, which makes them more like an upside down taco salad.
How to Make Loaded Vegan Nachos
These nachos come together so easily that it’s almost silly not to make them!
- First you heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat and cook the oil for about 5 minutes.
- Next you add the beans, tomatoes, garlic, and spices to the pan and cook for about another 5 minutes, until it’s heated throughout.
- To assemble your nachos, you lay the tortilla chips out on a large platter and top them with the beans. Then you drizzle on the cheese pile on the rest of the ingredients. Easy-peasy!
How to Customize your Vegan Nachos
You can customize this recipe to suit your tastes and the contents of your fridge!
- Instead of black beans, you can use pintos, kidney beans, or even chickpeas.
- If you prefer fresh tomatoes, you can use them instead of fire-roasted canned tomatoes.
- You can also use store-bought salsa instead of canned tomatoes.
- Store-bought guacamole can be used instead of diced avocado.
- Instead of Cashew Cheese Sauce, you can use Veggie Packed Vegan Cheese Sauce.
- You can also use store-bought vegan cheese shreds. You’ll need to pop your nachos into the oven for a few minutes to melt them. I like Violife Colby Jack Shreds and Miyoko’s Pepper Jack.
- I topped these nachos with the cashew sour cream from my Raw Tacos recipe. You can use store-bought dairy-free sour cream, if you don’t feel like making it, or you can skip it altogether.
- If you’d like a little more spice, you can drizzle on some hot sauce.
- You can serve nachos as a meal by topping them with shredded lettuce.
- If you don’t like cilantro, you can use parsley.
Totally Loaded Vegan Nachos
Vegan nachos are the ultimate snack! They're loaded with beans, veggies, and cashew cheese, and they're perfect for movie night, game day viewing parties, and even holiday parties.
This recipe serves 8 as a snack or 4 as a meal.
- For the Chili
- 1 teaspoon neutral-flavored vegetable oil such as avocado
- ½ cup red onion diced (about ½ and onion)
- 1 15 ounce can black beans drained and rinsed (or 1½ cups cooked beans)
- 1 14 ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes drained (or 1 ½ diced fresh tomatoes )
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- For the Nachos
- 8-ounce bag tortilla chips
- ½ cup Cashew Cheese Sauce
- 1 avocado diced
- 1 jalapeno thinly sliced (or ¼ cup pickled jalapeno slices)
- 1/3 cup black olives sliced
- 2 scallions sliced
- ¼ cup Vegan sour cream for serving, optional
Make the Chili
Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sautée for about 5 minutes, until it becomes fragrant and begins to brown. Add the black beans, diced tomato, and spices, and cook for 5 more minutes, or until everything is heated throughout.
Assemble the Nachos:
Lay the chips out in a large dish or platter. Pile on the chili, cheese, and the rest of the ingredients.
If you enjoyed this recipe you might also like:
- Chili Roasted Pumpkin Nachos
- Three Bean Chili
- Double Shelled Black Bean Tacos
- Chili Lime Roasted Chickpeas