Vegan Chickpea Rancheros is deliciously fun way to start the day! Easy to make, it’s perfect for breakfast, brunch, or even breakfast for dinner! This vegan huevos rancheros recipe is gluten-free.
Vegan Huevos Rancheros
Huevos rancheros—or eggs in ranchero sauce—a breakfast dish that’s traditional served on Mexican farms. It typically consists of fried eggs served on tortillas topped with salsa. While I’ve never actually had the traditional version, I have had many eggless vegan recreations of the dish, and it’s become a morning favorite. Vegans usually make their no-huevos rancheros with tofu, but here I’ve opted for chickpeas here. I typically make tofu scrambles on weekends, and I wanted to mix things up a little.
This isn’t really a traditional rancheros recipe, because rather than salsa, I’ve used tomato sauce, it was created rancheros in mind. The chickpeas are cooked in the sauce rather than topped with it, which really cuts down on cooking time. I’ve used bell peppers here, which I know aren’t really part of traditional Mexican cooking. Feel free to use anaheim or poblano peppers, if you like.
How to Make Chickpea Rancheros
This recipe is super easy to make!
- First, you cook the onion until it begins to brown.
- Then, you add the garlic and peppers and cook them until they begin to soften.
- Next, you add the tomato sauce, chickpeas, and spices and cook until the mixture is hot and bubbly.
- And finally, you top the dish with chopped cilantro and it with tortillas and sliced avocado.
Serve your dish as is or alongside rice, refried beans, and guacamole. It’s great with a little dairy-free sour cream, and make sure you have plenty of hot sauce on hand!
Cilantro is one of those ingredients that people either love or hate. People have told me that it tastes like soap, which apparently is a hereditary thing. If you’re on Team Hate, you can use flat-leaf parsley, or just omit it altogether.
Make sure your corn tortillas are gluten-free if you’re on a gluten-free diet. If you’d prefer tofu, you can use crumbled extra firm tofu in the place of chickpeas in the recipe. Also check out the No-Huevos Rancheros recipe from Chloe Flavor.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- ½ cup diced onion about half of a small onion
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 jalapeno seeded and diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 15-ounce can can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas warmed
- 1 avocado peeled, pitted, and sliced
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until it begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the peppers and garlic and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, chickpeas, and spices to the skillet, and cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture is hot and bubbly, about 10 minutes.
- To serve, place two tortillas on a plate and top with a large spoonful of the chickpea mixture. Top with the avocado slices and chopped cilantro.
Other recipes you might enjoy include:
- No-Huevos Rancheros
- Tex Mex Tofu Scramble
- Double Shelled Black Bean Tacos
- Roasted Chickpea Taco Salad
- Sofritas Burrito Bowl