Vegan Cranberry Muffins are they’re loaded with fresh cranberries, nuts, and a hint of orange flavor. This easy recipe come together quickly – no mix necessary! They’re perfect for Thanksgiving breakfast, Christmas brunch, or snack time on any day in between! This recipe is vegan with a gluten-free option.
Sometime during mu Christmas break last year, I had a hankering for cranberry muffins. I had some cranberries in the freezer, along with the usual muffin ingredients, so I baked up a quick batch using some of my other muffin recipes as inspiration. They baked up nicely, and I wanted to share the recipe, but a blog post about cranberry muffins shortly after Christmas just didn’t seem very timely. With Thanksgiving on the horizon, and Christmas coming fast on its heels, the time has come to finally share it with you!
How to Make Vegan Cranberry Muffins
Making muffins is so simple that’s almost silly notto bake up a batch! It only takes a few minutes to throw all of the ingredients together.
- First, you mix together the dry ingredients.
- Then, you mix together the wet ingredients and pour them into the dry ingredients.
- Next, you fold in the cranberries and nuts.
- Finally, you scoop the batter into a muffin tin and bake!
When mixing batter, mix the wet and dry ingredients together until they’re just incorporated. Overmixing can cause the muffins to turn out gummy.
Cranberry and orange pair really well together, so I used orange juice in this recipe, rather than clabbered almond milk, which is usually my go-to when making muffins. If you’re feeling fancy, you can add a little orange zest to the wet ingredients when making the batter. (I get lazy, and I pretty much never zest my citrus fruits when I see recipes calling for it!)
I usually bake muffins like these with whole wheat or spelt flour. If you follow a gluten-free diet, try an all-purpose gluten-free baking mix like Bob’s Red Mill’s 1 to 1 Baking Flour.
I like to use walnuts or pecans in my cranberry muffins for a little crunch. You can use any type of nut or seed that you like. If you’re allergic to nuts, you can omit them all together.
Vegan Cranberry Muffins are a great treat for breakfast or brunch on Thanksgiving or Christmas. I also love just having them as a snack with a cup of apple cider tea during the autumn months!
Vegan Cranberry Muffins
- 2 cups whole wheat flour or gluten-free flour mix
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup orange juice
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups cranberries either fresh or thawed frozen
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly oil the cups of a muffin pan or line it with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the orange juice, maple syrup, apple sauce, and vanilla.
- Pour the wet mixture into dry mixture and mix until there are no visible lumps of flour. Do not overmix.
- Carefully fold in the cranberries and walnuts.
- Divide the batter among the muffin cups, filling them ¾ of the way full.
- Bake until the muffins are golden brown around the edges and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 17 to 20 minutes.