Vegan Everything but the Bagel Dip is sure to be the star of your next party! Serve it with or chips for the ultimate appetizer or cut veggies for a healthy afternoon snack. No one will guess that’s made with hidden veggies! This easy Trader Joe’s copycat recipe is dairy-free and gluten-free.
Trader Joe’s Copycat Recipe
On a recent trip to Trader Joe’s, I saw that they’re capitalizing on their popular Everything but the Bagel Seasoning with the introduction of a new Everything but the Bagel Dip. I love everything bagels, so of course I love the seasoning, too. I would have loved to try the dip, but sadly, it’s not vegan. TJ’s been doing a great job with vegan products lately, so it’s a little disappointing that this one was dairy-based.
The recipe creator in me knew that I could make my own, though. So, when I got home, I headed into the kitchen and set about making a Trader Joe’s Everything but the Bagel Dip copycat recipe—vegan style, of course!
Vegan Everything but the Bagel Dip
Trader Joe’s dip is made with Greek yogurt. I’ve never had Greek yogurt, so I don’t know what it tastes like. I decided to make my recipe with more of a sour cream base. And I did that using a combination of cauliflower and cashews. Trust me—no one is going to know that this recipe is made with cauliflower. It’s a great way to sneak some extra veggies in, and it’s perfect for picky eaters.
I mentioned a few months ago that I was blowing through Trader Joe’s Everything but the Bagel Seasoning too quickly, so I started making my own. One day recently I bought a jar of their seasoning to save myself time, and I realized that it’s now far too salty for me. So, I’ve used my own blend again in this recipe. If you prefer to use the Trader Joe’s mix, you’ll need half a jar.
If you are using your own spices, you’ll need both powders and dried minced versions of garlic and onion. The powders help flavor the creamy dip base, and the minced spices are part of the everything mix. I use the jarred dried minced garlic and onion that’s found in the spice aisle, rather than fresh, since it’s what’s used in the Everything spice mix.
How to make Everything but the Bagel Dip
- This recipe is super easy to make!
- First you bring cauliflower, cashews, and water to a boil. Then you reduce the heat to a simmer and let it cook until the cauliflower is fork-tender.
- Next, you blend the cauliflower, cashews, and a little water together with lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt until it’s smooth and creamy. It blends up in seconds in my Blendtec.
- Finally, you mix in the everything seasoning.
Refrigerate your dip for an hour or two, until you’re ready to serve it. It’s great with cut veggies, chips, or even bagel chips!
Vegan Everything but the Bagel Dip
Makes about 1½ cups. A serving size is two tablespoons.
- 2 cups bite-sized cauliflower florets
- ½ cup cashews
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 ½ tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- ½ teaspoon dried minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon dried minced onion
- Place the cauliflower and cashews in a pot with enough water to cover them plus two inches. Place the pot over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and let simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the cauliflower is fork tender.
- Drain the cauliflower and cashews, saving the cooking water. Allow to cool slightly.
- Place the cauliflower, cashews, ⅓ cup of the reserved cooking water, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, onion powder, garlic powder, and sea salt in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. If the mixture is too thick, add a little more of the reserved cooking water, a tablespoon at a time, until it reached the desired consistency.
- Transfer the mixture to a small bowl and mix in the sesame seeds, poppy seeds, minced garlic, and minced onion.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.