Warning! Homemade vegan Green Goddess Dressing is so addictive, you’ll want to pour it over everything! It’s terrific for salads and sandwiches, and it can even be used a dip for veggies or chips. This easy recipe is vegan and gluten-free, as well as being free of added oils.
Green goddess dressing was one of my favorite salad dressings in my pre-vegan days. I loved it so much that I may have even snuck some into my salads after I decided to go vegan. After I discovered Trader Joe’s Goddess Dressing, I gave it up for good. I love Trader Joe’s dressing but it’s just not the same as my beloved green goddess dressing.
Back in 2001 when I went vegan, the vegan culinary world hadn’t blossomed yet. It never occurred to me to make my own creamy salad dressings back then. As time went on, I discovered the magical world of cashew cream and tahini, and now I’m constantly experimenting with different sauces and dressings.
Traditional green goddess dressing isn’t even vegetarian, but I didn’t know it way back when. It’s made with anchovies, along with eggs and dairy products – usually yogurt or sour cream. (I’ve also seen recipes that call for mayonnaise.)
In my vegan version of the dressing, I use capers to mimic the briney flavor of anchovies. I’ve used clabbered almond milk in the place of dairy, and I’ve added some tahini, which is a nod to Trader Joe’s dressing. Lemon juice and Dijon mustard give the dressing a tangy flavor, and fresh herbs add both flavor and color.
How to Make Vegan Green Goddess Dressing:
This dressing is super easy to make!
First you mix together the apple cider vinegar and non-dairy milk and let sit for 10 minutes. It will curdle, which is what you want.
Then you place the curdled milk in a blender along with the tahini, lemon juice, mustard, capers, garlic, sea salt, and black pepper. You blend it until it’s smooth and creamy. It comes together super quickly in my Blendtec.
- Finally, you pulse in the fresh herbs until they are mixed throughout. Your dressing is done!
This Vegan Green Goddess Dressing pairs deliciously with about anything. Pour it over salads, spread it onto sandwiches, and serve it as a dip with cut vegetables.
Green Goddess Dressing
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond or soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon capers
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup loosely packed parsley finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons loosely packed basil finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives finely chopped
- Mix together the apple cider vinegar and non-dairy milk, and let sit for 10 minutes. It will curdle, which is what you want.
- Place the curdled milk in a blender along with the tahini, lemon juice, mustard, capers, garlic, sea salt, and black pepper. Blend until smooth and creamy. Pulse in the fresh herbs until they are mixed throughout.
Other homemade vegan salad dressings you might enjoy include:
- Vegan Ranch Dressing
- Maple Mustard Dressing
- Lemony Tahini Dressing
- Vegan Buttermilk Dressing
- Thousand Island Dressing