The Vegan Popeye
There’s a small chain of independent pancakes houses in Northern New Jersey that has quite a few vegan items on the menu, including a few tofu scrambles. The Vegan Popeye is loaded with spinach and mushrooms, and it’s my favorite. They serve it with home fries and whole wheat toast, and it makes for a deliciously filling weekend brunch.
Sunday Morning Tofu Scramble
We like to treat ourselves to breakfast at one of the pancake houses on weekends, but when on super cold and dreary winter Sunday mornings, we don’t want to change out of our warm and cozy jammies, much less leave the house and drive to Rutherford (or Morristown), so I often find myself making my favorite tofu scramble at home.
This scramble is easy to make, yet it makes a terrific breakfast treat. It might not build instant muscles or help you fight Bluto, but it will definitely satisfy your taste buds and fuel you through your morning.
The Vegan Popeye Tofu Scramble
- 1 teaspoon neutral vegetable oil
- 1 medium-sized onion diced
- 10 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- pinch sea salt
- 1 14-ounce block of firm or extra-firm tofu drained and pressed
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon black salt (kala namak)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 16 ounces baby spinach
- 1 avocado sliced
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until it begins to brown, about five minutes. Add the mushrooms, garlic, and pinch of sea salt, and cook for about five more minutes, until the mushrooms begin to brown and become fragrant.
- Crumble the tofu and add it the pan along with the nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, turmeric, black salt and black pepper. Stir to coat the tofu in the spices. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, or until the tofu begins to brown.
- Fold in the spinach and cook for just a minute or two longer, until it begins to wilt and turn bright green.
- Divide among four plates and serve with the avocado slices.