Philly cheesesteaks get a healthy makeover in this easy recipe! Vegan Portobello Cheesesteak Sandwiches are the ultimate veggie-packed comfort food meal. With the combination of meaty mushrooms and creamy dairy-free cashew cheese, these tasty sandwiches are a lunchtime favorite in my house! They’re great for a light dinner, too.
I ate a lot of cheesesteaks in my younger years. Well, what I ate could probably barely pass for what we know as a cheesesteak, but that’s what I called it. My mom frequently bought frozen Steak-Umms, which were easy enough for a teenager to heat up. I would cook the thin slices of “meat” and then put them on a roll with American cheese, and that would be my meal.
Of course, I gave those disgusting sandwiches up after going vegetarian during college. There was a point in the mid-2000s when Tofurky was making cheesesteak-style slices, and I would cook them up and serve them with Tofutti cheese on a bun. Those sandwiches weren’t much better than the ones I ate as a teen, but there was a certain nostalgic quality to them.
Since then, I’ve had cheesesteak sandwiches at various vegan eateries. Most of them have been seitan based, and all of them have been much tastier than those Steak-Umm sandwiches from my meat-eating days. I like to make them at home, and when I do, I often use hearty portobello mushrooms.
Portobello mushrooms are a great substitute for meat when veganizing omnivore recipes. And they’re loaded with nutrients, so they’re a much healthier option! Portobellos are low in calories and fat-free, and they are a good source of copper, selenium, and vitamin B6.
These Portobello Cheesesteaks are super easy to make! You just slice your veggies and throw them in a pan!
- First, you cook the onion until it begins to soften and brown.
- Then, you add the mushrooms, peppers, and spices to the pan and continue to cook.
- Once all of the vegetables are soft, you just place the mixture in rolls and top with cheesy sauce.
It’s that simple!
I like to use my Cashew Cheese Sauce in this recipe. It’s easy to make, and it freezes well, so I often have some on hand. Veggie-Packed Vegan Cheese Sauce can be used, too. You can also use store-bought dairy-free cheese sauce, if you’re short on time.
Vegan Portobello Cheesesteak Sandwiches
Philly cheesesteaks get a healthy makeover in this easy recipe! Vegan Portobello Cheesesteak Sandwiches are the ultimate veggie-packed comfort food meal. Paired with a side salad, they're terrific for lunch or dinner.
- 1 teaspoon neutral-flavored vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion sliced into half-moons
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 large Portobello mushrooms sliced into thin strips
- 1 red bell pepper sliced into thin strips
- green bell pepper sliced into thin strips
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch red pepper flakes optional
- 4 whole wheat or gluten-free submarine sandwich rolls
- ½ cup Cashew Cheese Sauce
Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until it begins to brown, about 5 minutes.
Add the garlic, mushrooms, bell peppers, salt, black pepper, onion, garlic, and red pepper. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, until the mushrooms are fragrant, soft, and browned around the edges.
While the vegetables are cooking, slice and toast the rolls.
Divide the mushroom mixture evenly among the four rolls. Top each sandwich with 2 tablespoons of cashew cheese. Serve immediately.
Other Recipes You Might Enjoy Include:
- Sloppy Joe’s with Tempeh and Mushrooms
- Cajun French Fry Po’ Boy with Vegan Mushroom Gravy
- Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
- Tempeh and Mushroom Fricassee
- Roasted Mushroom and Caramelized Onion Shepherd’s Pie