Vegan Pots de Crème is a luscious chocolate dessert. It comes together super quickly with just four ingredients. Serve it on date night, during dinner parties, and on Valentine’s Day. No one will guess that it’s dairy-free! This super easy recipe from Jazzy Vegetarian by Laura Theodore is vegan and gluten-free.
Pots de Crème
I think by now you know that I'm a chocoholic. I mean, is dessert even worth eating if it’s not chocolate?
So when I received Laura Theodore’s cookbook Jazzy Vegetarian: Lively Vegan Cuisine That's Easy and Delicious, the first recipe that caught my eye was the pots de crème. Creamy chocolatey goodness that only requires four ingredients (four ingredients I already had on hand, I might add)? Sign me up!
I often like to have a little something chocolatey after dinner, and this dessert really satisfies my craving. Since it’s so easy to make, it’s great for an everyday dessert, but it’s also perfect for special occasions, date night, dinner parties, and of course, Valentine’s Day.
What is Pots de Crème?
Pots de Crème is a French custardy dessert. The name translates to “pot of custard” or “pot of cream.”
It’s traditionally made with eggs, cream, milk, vanilla, and chocolate, so it’s not very vegan friendly. Lucky for vegans, though, eggs and cream can easily be replaced with tofu. No dairy needed!
What You Need
You only need FOUR ingredients to make this delicious dessert!
- Vanilla nondairy milk
- Brown sugar
- Vegan dark chocolate chips
See the recipe card for specific amounts.
Vegan Chocolate Chips
When buying chocolate chips, make sure you check the ingredients for dairy. Chocolate chips that were once vegan are sneaking milk into the ingredients, so I always check, even if it's a brand I've bought before. I like to use Enjoy Life or Pascha.
How to Make Your Pots de Crème
This recipe is super easy to make!
- First you heat the nondairy milk in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until it simmers.
- Then you put the tofu and brown sugar in a blender and add the chocolate chips. You then pour in the nondairy milk and process until it’s completely smooth.
- Next, you spoon the mixture into tiny dessert bowls or espresso cups and refrigerate for 4 to 24 hours.
How to Serve Your Pots de Crème
Serve your pots de crème chilled, in tiny dessert bowls or espresso cups.
This amazing recipe is from Jazzy Vegetarian: Lively Vegan Cuisine That's Easy and Delicious by Laura Theodore. This is the 10th anniversary edition of Laura’s iconic cookbook, and it features 120 recipes. New features in the book include 25 new recipes and more food photography. Those 25 new recipes are from season 10 of Laura’s long-running PBS cooking show Jazzy Vegetarian.
I love Laura's recipes because they're easy to make and absolutely delicious, and there are so many amazing recipes in this cookbook! Who can resist Nutty Biscotti Bread, Peanut Noodles, Quick Lasagna Rolls, or Double-Chocolate Cake? They're all omnivore friendly, and they use inexpensive ingredients can be found in just about any grocery store.
Chapters in Jazzy Vegetarian include
- The Basics
- Planning Tempting Menus
- Bountiful Breakfasts and Smoothies
- Scrumptious Muffins and Quick Breads
- Appetizing Starts and Snacks
- Satisfying Soups and Sandwiches
- Sassy Salads
- Perfect Pastas
- Marvelous Main Dishes
- Vegetable Delights and Sides
- Decadent Desserts and Beverages
This cookbook is a must-have for anyone who wants to cook easy-to-make healthy and delicious meals!
Pots de Crème
- ¾ cup vanilla nondairy milk
- 12 ounces soft regular or firm regular tofu lightly drained and cubed
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 cup vegan dark chocolate chips
- Heat the nondairy milk in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until simmering.
- Put the tofu and brown sugar in a blender, then add the chocolate chips. Pour in the nondairy milk and process until completely smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into tiny dessert bowls or espresso cups and refrigerate for 4 to 24 hours. Serve chilled.
More delicious recipes from Laura Theodore include
- Asparagus Tart from Jazzy Vegetarian’s Deliciously Vegan
- Mac ’n Peas with Creamy Butternut Squash Sauce from Laura Theodore's Vegan-Ease
- Roasted Cauliflower Cutlets with Lemon-Caper Sauce from Laura Theodore's Vegan-Ease
- Jumbo Peanut Butter-Banana Breakfast Cookies from Easy Vegan Home Cooking