Move over, mashed potatoes, Vegan Scalloped Potatoes are a perfect side dish for holiday feasts!
Scalloped Potatoes were a Childhood Favorite
It may sound kind of weird, but I didn’t like potatoes very much growing up. Of course, I love French fries, but I didn’t care much for baked potatoes, and mashed potatoes seemed too much like paste for me. I did, however LOVE scalloped potatoes. I loved the combination of creamy sauce with thinly sliced potatoes, and I especially loved the crispy bits at the top of the dish.
My made scalloped potatoes often, but she never made them from scratch. They always came from a boxed kit, which in retrospect is kind of gross, but hey, it was the 70s. I love veganizing my childhood favorites, and since potatoes are a Thanksgiving favorite, it’s about time I created a vegan scalloped potatoes recipe.
Vegan Scalloped Potatoes are perfect for the Holidays
This is the type of recipe that I usually make with cashew cream, however, my Thanksgiving menu is already a little too cashew-based, with Green Bean Casserole, Creamed Kale, and Pumpkin Swirl Cheesecake planned. I chose to use cauliflower to make a cream sauce for these vegan scalloped potatoes, and it took a few tries, but I think I finally got it right. Dennis was happy to eat the results of my experimenting, so nothing went to waste.
Slicing the potatoes can be a little tricky. If you have a mandolin, it’s a great way to get thin slices. I got rid of my mandolin while on a big decluttering binge over the summer, but my food processor has a slicing blade, so I used that, and it worked beautifully. If you don’t have either, use a sharp knife and try to get your slices as evenly cut as possible.
These vegan scalloped potatoes are a terrific side dish option for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. They’re great for Sunday supper, too!
Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
- 1/2 head cauliflower, coarsely chopped, about 3 cups
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, thinly sliced, about ¼” thick
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- Preheat your oven to 350° and lightly oil a casserole dish.
- Place the cauliflower in a large pot. Fill it with enough water to cover the vegetables plus about two inches.
- Bring the water to a boil over medium-high heat and then reduce the heat and allow to simmer for about 15 minutes or until the vegetables are fork tender.
- Drain the cauliflower and allow them to cool slightly and then place them in a high-speed blender or food processor along with the vegetable stock, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, Dijon mustard, garlic, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper and blend until smooth and creamy.
- In a casserole dish, layer the potatoes and pour the cauliflower cream over it. Sprinkle the top with the fresh rosemary.
- Cover with foil and cook for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and cook for another 20-30 minutes, or until the potatoes have browned and the sauce is bubbly.
- Serve hot.
If you enjoyed these Vegan Scalloped Potatoes, you may also enjoy:
- Smashed Potatoes with Roasted Garlic Cream
- Hasselback Potatoes
- Vegan Colcannon
- Mustard Coated Oven Fries