A few nights a go I was in the mood for some for veggies with spicy peanut sauce so headed to the kitchen with the intention of making Pad Thai. I didn’t have all of the ingredients for my usual recipe, so I ad libbed with what was on hand. The resulting meal was quite the tasty dish.
Mix and Match Ingredients in this Vegan Stir-Fry
If you don’t have everything on hand, feel free to swap ingredients out for what you do. If you don’t have any edamame on hand, but you do have baked tofu, use it instead. If you have a green pepper instead of a red one, it will do just fine. This dish would even taste great made with rice, instead of noodles.
Vegan Stir-Fry with Spicy Peanut Sauce
For the Sauce:
- 1/3 cup natural smooth peanut butter
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons Bragg's Liquid Aminos or Tamari
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Pinch red pepper flakes optional
For the Stir-Fry:
- Cooked soba udon, or rice noodles – 6 to 8 ounces
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Half of a red onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot julienned or shredded
- ½ cup edamame fresh or frozen and thawed
- 2 large handfuls of baby spinach or baby kale
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
Mix all of the sauce ingredients together and set aside.
Heat the oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Cook the onion for about 5 minutes, until it begins to turn translucent.
Add the mushrooms, red pepper, carrot, and edamame to the pan. Cook for another 10 minutes, until the veggies are tender.
Add the spinach, sauce, noodles and salt to the pan. Stir to combine everything, and cook for another 5 minutes or so, until everything is heated throughout.
Serve hot topped with the sliced scallions and sesame seeds. Enjoy!
If you enjoyed this vegan stir-fry, you may also like:
- Tofu and Shirataki Noodle Stir-Fry
- Spicy Soy Curl Stir-Fry
- Spicy Orange-Sesame Stir-Fry
- Sweet and Sour Tofu