Vegan BLT Salad
Made with kale, tomatoes, avocado, tempeh bacon, and a creamy tahini dressing, this vegan BLT salad is hearty enough for a meal, but it also makes a great side dish.
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼ cup water (more, if needed)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (I used whole grain mustard)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 large bunch Tuscan kale stems removed, chopped (about 10 ounces)
- 1 cup thinly sliced purple cabbage
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 1 teaspoon neutral-flavored vegetable oil
- 2 scallions
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup chopped tempeh bacon
In a small bowl, mix together the tahini, water, mustard, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder, and sea salt until smooth and creamy.
Place the chopped kale into a large bowl. Add half of the tahini dressing and massage until the kale begins to wild. Add the cabbage and avocado to the bowl and toss to combine.
Place medium-sized pan over medium heat. Add the tomatoes and cook for about 5 minutes, or until they begin to brown and wither. Remove the tomatoes from the pan and toss them into the salad.
Add the oil to the pan along with the scallions, garlic, and chopped tempeh bacon. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes or until the garlic and scallions have begun to brown slightly and are fragrant.
Add the tempeh to the salad and toss everything together. Drizzle on the rest of the salad dressing.
Divide among four bowls and serve while the tempeh bacon is still warm