Swamp Monster Slow Cooker Jackfruit Gumbo from The Ghoulish Gourmet
This chunky stew is full of okra, tomatoes, vegan sausage and stringy jackfruit. One of my testers, Robin Fetter of The Real Vegan Housewife, says the soup had “an awesome foamy green effect on top” when she served it immediately, but that the green became less bright after twenty minutes. She highly recommends puréeing the greens into the soup.
- For the main gumbo:
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups sliced okra fresh or frozen
- 3 cups diced tomatoes or 2 14.5 ounce cans
- 1 cup minced bell pepper any color
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can 20 ounce young green jackfruit in brine, rinsed with seeds removed *
- 2 large vegan sausages Italian, Chik’n Apple, or Andouille, cut into quarters lengthwise and sliced
- 2 bouillon cubes vegetable or vegan chicken flavor
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning blend see recipe at bottom
- 3 bay leaves
- For finishing:
- 1 cup chopped spinach kale or other mild green
- just enough water to puree about 1/4 cup
- salt and pepper to taste
- more Cajun seasoning blend to taste – optional
- For serving:
- steamed rice white, brown or forbidden
- hot sauce
In the morning: Add all the main gumbo ingredients to your 4 quart slow cooker. Cook on low 7 to 9 hours.
minutes before serving: Add the greens to a blender with a little water and purée until smooth. Then add salt, pepper and more Cajun seasoning if needed.
Remove bay leaves and serve gumbo topped with the green “swamp” purée and a scoop of rice.