The temperatures have been warming up and spring is starting to bloom! As I mentioned last week, because this is a time of new beginnings, rebirth and growth, it’s the perfect time for those that have been on the fence to jump headfirst into a vegan diet.
Here are six reasons why this is the perfect time for you to say no dairy and meat and go vegan!
- Lighten Up. After eating heavy, warming foods all winter, it’s time to lighten up, detoxify and maybe shed a few pounds. Plant-based foods will help you do all of that and more. Opt for fresh berries, leafy greens and alliums such as garlic scapes and scallions.
- Produce Aplenty. Spring harvests have begun to ripen and fresh fruits and vegetables abound. The perfect time to enjoy a plant-based diet is when plants are in bloom. If you’re one of those people who thinks they don’t really like vegetables, now is the time to try new foods and look for produce that you will like. There’s no excuses – get out to the farmer’s market and try something!
- More Energy. By removing heavy animal products and chemicalized processed junk from your diet, processing meals is less of a burden on your body. That means more energy will be freed up for those fun springtime activities such as hikes through the woods and picnics in the park.
- Reduce Allergies. A vegan diet won’t make your allergies go away entirely, but ditching dairy will mean that there’s less mucus clogging up your system so you’ll be less miserable this pollen season. Many people are allergic to cows’ milk without realizing it, so removing it from your diet with decrease the overall load of allergens the body is exposed to, and therefore help you feel better.
- Less Spoilers. The vegan potato salad that you take your best friend’s backyard picnic has less of a chance of spoiling in the sun than it’s dairy-laden counterpart. There’s no salmonella at a vegan barbecue!
- Why Not? Veganism has so many benefits, it’s kind of ridiculous not to give it a go. A vegan diet saves animals, helps the environment, improves well-being and keeps the body healthy. Give it a try – the animals will thank you!