Vegan Thai Sweet Potato Curry will cure what ails you on cold winter nights. This easy to make recipe from The Meatless Monday Family Cookbook by Jenn Sebestyen is perfect for both lunch and dinner. It’s vegan and gluten-free.
The Meatless Monday Family Cookbook
This cookbook is full of over 100 tasty plant-based recipes. It’s great for those who are just dipping their toe into the world of vegan food and want to eat meatless one day a week. Jenn starts the book with lots of tips for newbie vegans, including pantry essentials and handy kitchen tools.
Seasoned vegans who eat meatless every day of the week will find lots to love here, too. I mean, who can turn down a plate of Pesto Lasagna or a bowl of Creamy Vegetable Noodle Soup?
As you might have guess from the name, The Meatless Monday Family Cookbook is full of family-friendly recipes. Jenn has veganized omnivore classics—like Potpie Noodle Casserole and Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese—that will please even the pickiest of eaters. She includes lots of tips on how to the get the kids involved in cooking, too.
Chapters in The Meatless Monday Family Cookbook Include:
- Getting Started with Meatless Monday
- Hearty Soups
- Satisfying Salads
- Loaded Handhelds
- Bountiful Bowls
- Perfect Pasta
- One Pot Wonders
- Comforting Casseroles
- Center Stage Vegetables
- Breakfast for Dinner
- Sauces and Staples
Vegan Thai Sweet Potato Curry
Curry is my go-to comfort food, so the first recipe I made from The Meatless Monday Family Cookbook was the Thai Sweet Potato Curry. This recipe is super easy to make, and it doesn’t require too many ingredients, which is a win-win in my book. Plus, I just can’t turn down any dish that’s made with peanut butter and coconut milk!
I made the mistake of not checking the ingredients label on a jar of Thai curry paste once. Once I got home and opened it, I noticed a fishy smell, and realized it wasn’t vegan. So, make sure you check your curry paste before buying it. Most are vegan, but occasionally fish is added.
How to make Thai Sweet Potato Curry
This recipe is so easy to make!
- First, you sauté the onion until it’s soft and translucent.
- Next, you add the garlic and curry paste and mix well.
- Then, you add the sweet potatoes, tomatoes, vegetable stock, and salt and pepper.
- You allow the mixture to boil, and then reduce the heat and let it simmer for about half an hour.
- While the curry is simmering, you mix together the coconut milk, peanut butter, and a little salt. You add the mixture to the pot and give it a good stir.
- Finally, you remove the pot from the heat and mix in the cilantro and lime juice.
- Serve your curry over cooked rice, topped with chopped peanuts.
If you’re looking for family friendly vegan recipes, or if you’re hoping to add more meatless dishes into your diet, The Meatless Monday Family Cookbook is for you!
Try these Other recipes from The Meatless Monday Family Cookbook:
Thai Sweet Potato Curry
- 1½ tablespoons (23 g) coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3–4 tablespoons (45–60 g) Thai red curry paste
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and diced (about 3 cups or 400 g)
- 1 can (15 ounces, or 425 g) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup (235 ml) low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoon salt divided
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup (65 g) smooth natural peanut butter
- ½ cup (120 ml) lite coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons (2 g) chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3 cups (474 g) cooked jasmine rice or rice of your choice
- ¼ cup (36 g) chopped peanuts for garnish
Heat the coconut oil in pot or large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 5 to 6 minutes until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and red curry paste and stir until fully incorporated with the onions. Add the sweet potatoes, tomatoes, vegetable broth, 1 teaspoon of salt, and pepper. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 30 to 35 minutes until the sweet potatoes are fork tender.
In a small cup or bowl, whisk together the peanut butter, coconut milk, and remaining 1 of teaspoon of salt. Pour into the skillet with the sweet potatoes and stir to combine.
Remove from the heat. Add the cilantro and lime juice. Serve with the cooked rice and garnish with the chopped peanuts.
Recipe from The Meatless Monday Cookbook by Jenn Sebestyen. Reprinted with permission from Jenn Sebestyen and Fair Winds Press, an imprint of Quarto Publishing Group USA Inc. © 2019.
Other curry dishes you might enjoy include:
- Coconut Curry Noodles with Butternut Squash
- Thai-Style Red Curry Green Beans
- Pumpkin Curry
- Thai Green Curry with Green Beans and Sweet Potatoes
- Mango Tempeh Curry
I have a copy of The Meatless Monday Family Cookbook for one lucky winner this week. Follow the instructions below to enter. U.S. residents only, please. Contest ends at midnight on December 15th. Good luck!