Vegan chocolate ice cream is sure to cure your summertime chocolate cravings. This decadent dairy free Melted Truffle Dark Chocolate Ice Cream recipe from Super Vegan Scoops! by Hannah Kaminksy is easy to make, and you might want to make a double batch, because it won’t last long!
Vegan Ice Cream
When I first went vegan maaaaany years ago, there were slim pickin’s in the freezer aisle for those of us who preferred our frozen desserts without the animal cruelty. We had Tofutti and Rice Dream to chose from. To quote Mulder on The X Files, “I bet the air in my mouth tastes better that.” (They weren’t that bad, Mulder.)
Wanting more options, I eventually bought an ice cream maker and Vegan à la Mode by Hannah Kaminsky. I found that it’s easy to make your own ice cream with just a few ingredients, and it’s kind of fun, too.
There are way more varieties of vegan ice cream available now, and it’s much easier to pick up at pint at the Whole Foods around the corner that it is to make my own. So, my poor ice cream maker has be languishing away in the back of my pantry. Hannah’s newest cookbook Super Vegan Scoops! has just arrived, so I’ve dusted off my old friend and started churring out batches of my own frozen desserts once again.
Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream
Sure, I like fancy flavored ice creams with lots of additions, but nothing beats a bowl of cool, creamy chocolate. This Melted Truffle Dark Chocolate Ice Cream is made with chocolate on chocolate on chocolate, and it is pure decadence.
Straight out of the fridge the mixture tastes like rich chocolate pudding. Out of the ice cream maker it’s a luscious soft serve. I had to resist eating it all before I popped it in the freezer.
To make this recipe, you’ll need:
- Chocolate nondairy milk. (I used Ripple.)
- Unsweetened dark chocolate. (I used Pascha.)
- Dutch-process cocoa powder
- Black cocoa powder (Hannah says if you don’t have black cocoa powder, you can use more Dutch-process instead.)
- Granulated sugar
- Instant coffee powder or granules
- Vanilla extract
How to Make Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream
This recipe is easy to make! It may look like it takes a lot of time, but most of it is hand’s off time, while you’re waiting for your mixture to chill.
- First you warm your nondairy chocolate milk and add your chopped dark chocolate. Make sure you whisk it occasionally to keep the chocolate from sinking to the bottom of the pot and burning.
- Next to mix together the sugar, both types of cocoa, cornstarch, instant coffee, and salt.
- Once the chocolate mixture is smooth and creamy, you slowly sift in the slow ingredients, whisking to make sure you break up any clumps.
- You cook the mixture, stirring it every few minutes, until it comes to a boil and thickens to a pudding-like consistency.
- Then you remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- You need to cool the mixture at room temperature before moving it in the fridge. Chill it for at least an hour.
- Next you transfer the mixture to your ice cream maker and process it according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Finally, you transfer the ice cream to an air-tight container and place it in the freezer for about 3 hours, or until it’s solid enough to scoop.
Super Vegan Scoops!
Melted Truffle Dark Chocolate Ice Cream is the first recipe I’ve made from Hannah Kaminsky’s Super Vegan Scoops!, but it certainly won’t be the last.
These aren’t your mama’s frozen dessert. Hannah has packed her newest book with creative and innovated flavors, like Kalamata Caramel Ice Cream, Chile Lima Sorbet, and Cucumber Raita Frozen Yogurt. I’m dying to try the Garlic Ice Cream, because you can never get enough garlic in your day in my opinion, and the Cheddar-Style Ice Cream has my name all over it.
No ice cream maker? No problem! The quick pops and luscious cakes don’t require one. Hannah has included some non-frozen treats, such as Bakery-Style Blueberry Muffins, Foolproof Fudge, and Cheesecake Bites, as well. There’s also a chapter devoted to toppers, sauces, and sides. Hannah also shares lists of ingredients and tools, along with techniques and troubleshooting tips. And of course, the book is full of Hannah’s mouthwatering photography.
Chapters in Super Vegan Scoops! include:
- Solo Scoops
- Miscellaneous Novelties
- Sundaes Everyday
- Celebration Cakes
- Meltdown Masterpieces
- Toppers, Sauces, Sides, and Staples
If you find yourself craving ice cream, you need Super Vegan Scoops! in your life!
Melted Truffle Dark Chocolate Ice Cream
- Ice Cream Maker
- 3 1/3 cups chocolate nondairy milk
- 4½ ounces (about ¾ cup) unsweetened dark chocolate roughly chopped
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons black cocoa powder*
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon instant coffee powder or granules
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan, warm the chocolate nondairy milk over moderate heat and add in the chopped chocolate. Whisk occasionally to make sure that the chocolate pieces don't just settle to the bottom and burn, until completely melted and smooth. Meanwhile, combine the sugar, both types of cocoa, cornstarch, instant coffee, and salt in a separate dish, stirring well to evenly distribute.
- Once the chocolate mixture on the stove is smooth and creamy, slowly sift in the dry ingredients, whisking vigorously to break up any clumps that may form. Continue to cook gently, stirring every few minutes, until the mixture comes to a boil and has thickened to a pudding-like consistency. Remove from the heat before introducing the vanilla.
- Let cool to room temperature before moving the base into your fridge to chill, for at least 1 hour. Once it’s nice and cold, process in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer the soft ice cream into an airtight container and let rest in the freezer for at least 3 hours before serving, until solid enough to scoop.
More Summertime Desserts You might Enjoy include:
More Chocolate Recipes You might like include:
- Chocolate Hummus Shake
- Vegan Chocolate Hummus
- Chocolate Almond Date Truffles
- Vegan Chocolate Cream Pie