It’s easy being green with creamy vegan Matcha Avocado Ice Cream! This easy homemade avocado ice cream recipe is made with just a few ingredients and doesn’t require an ice cream maker. It's dairy-free (of course!), gluten-free, and refined sugar free. This tasty dessert is perfect for St. Patrick's Day or any warm spring day!
St. Patrick's Day
Like most holidays, I celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with food. I usually make soda bread, colcannon, and a seitan and cabbage casserole for dinner. And since there’s only so much I can eat in one day, I like to make festive green treats like Shamrock Shakes in the days leading up to the holiday. This year, I’m adding matcha avocado ice cream to my list of colorful snacks.
Avocado Ice Cream
I first heard of avocado ice cream several years ago when I was recipe testing for a cookbook. I’ll admit that I was a tad skeptical. Would it taste like frozen guacamole? I’m always up for trying anything new (as long as it’s vegan, of course), and I love avocados, so I gave it a try. And to my surprise, it was pretty amazing!
Since then, avocado ice cream has been inching towards the mainstream. I’ve even seen pints of it at my local ShopRite! (Does anyone else remember when we had one type of vegan ice cream, and, to quote Fox Mulder, “The air my mouth tastes better than that”?)
This ice cream gets its color from avocados, of course, but I’ve also added matcha for a little green boost. Matcha is a powdered green tea from Japan. It’s loaded rich in nutrients like antioxidant and fiber. It also contains L-theanine, which is known to calm the mind and decrease stress levels. Matcha is high in epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG), a compound that has been shown to have powerful anti-cancer properties.
Vegan Matcha Avocado Ice Cream
Matcha Avocado Ice Cream is super easy to make, and as a bonus, you don’t need an ice cream maker to prepare it! You simply mix all of the ingredients together in a food processor and then pop it in the freezer until it’s solid. It takes about 4 hours to harden in my freezer, but times with vary from freezer to freezer.
I’ve used agave to sweeten my ice cream, because it has a neutral flavor. Maple syrup will work well, too. I don’t like my treats too sweet, so I’ve only used ¼ cup. If you perfer something sweeter, you can add a little more agave until it reaches your desired taste.
I like to top my avocado ice cream with cacao nibs and chopped pistachios. You can use any type of nut that you like, but I love that pistachios add a little extra green to the ice cream. If you can’t get ahold of cacao nibs, you can chop up a little dark chocolate or add a few chocolate chips to the bowl. You can also mix a little chocolate or some nibs into the ice cream before you freeze it, for a chocolate chip ice cream.
How to make Matcha Avocado Ice Cream
This recipe only takes a few minutes to make!
- First, you mix all of the ingredients together in a food processor.
- Then, you pour the mixture into a freezer-safe container and place it in the freezer.
- Once the mixture has hardened, you scoop it out and serve it!
Storing Your Matcha Avocado Ice Cream
Store your ice cream in an air-tight container in the freezer. I recommend keeping it no longer than 2 weeks for the best flavor, but I doubt it'll last that long!
Vegan Matcha Avocado Ice Cream
- 3 ripe avocados pitted and sliced
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup agave or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon matcha powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Chopped pistachios, cacao nibs, and mint leaves, for serving optional
- Place all of the ingredients into a food processor fitted with an s-blade. Process until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sized, if necessary. It may take a few minutes.
- Pour the mixture into a freezer-safe container and freeze until solid. Every freezer is different, but it should take 3-4 hours.
- Serve cold topped with chopped pistachios, cacao nibs, and mint leaves, if using.
- Store any unused ice cream in an air-tight container in the freezer.
More treats you might enjoy include:
- Chocolate Cherry Nice Cream
- Vegan Nanaimo Bars from Dreena’s Kind Kitchen by Dreena Burton
- Chocolate Cherry Chia Pudding Parfaits
- Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream from Super Vegan Scoops! by Hannah Kaminksy i
More Avocado Recipes You Might Like Include:
- Chocolate Avocado Mousse
- Avocado Salsa Verde
- Spinach Salad with Strawberries and Avocado
- Shamrock Shake