Cold and flu season is here! While, thankfully, I haven’t had a cold in while, I do occasionally catch them. (Yes, even health coaches get sick!) I don’t have sinus cavities in my forehead, my sinuses don’t drain properly. So for me, colds almost always turn into sinus infections. They’re never any fun, so I’m always on defense, trying to prevent them with naturally remedies.
I like to turn to natural remedies to get me through colds, so I turn herbal teas such as Throat Coat and Breath Easy from Traditional Medicinals. I also take turmeric for its anti-inflammatory properties, ginger for its many health benefits, and lemon for its ability to decreases the strength of the cold and flu virus in the body.
Since I’m prone to sinus infections, so I also like to drink apple cider vinegar, which is known to thin mucus, and I also turn to hot spices to help open the nasal passages. If a cold gets particularly nasty, I’ll also reach for the oregano oil, which has antiviral and antibacterial properties, can thin mucus, and open nasal passages. Oregano oil is pretty rough on the taste buds, but it works.
I usually use all of these different things separately, so I’m constantly getting up and going into the kitchen to make a new drink or take a different supplement. The last time I had a cold, I just wanted to stay put in my warm and comfy bed, so decided to throw it all together in a pot and make a hot tea. This Sinus Buster Tea helped me to feel better in no time.
Sinus buster tea is super easy to make!
- You just throw all of the ingredients together in a pot and stir it all together.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Then, you strain the tea and pour it into a mug.
- Drink up!
Sinus Buster Tea
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger root or 1/4 teaspoon dried ground
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced turmeric or 1/4 teaspoon dried ground
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Herbal tea bag such as Breath Easy or Throat Coat
- 1 drop oregano oil optional (make sure it's food grade oil)
- In a small pot over medium heat mix together the water, lemon juice. apple cider vinegar, ginger root, turmeric, black pepper, and cayenne. Stir everything together and then add the tea bag.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat and then reduce the heat to medium and allow the mixture to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Strain the mixture with a fine mesh colandar and pour the tea into a mug. Add the drop of oregano oil, if using. Drink while the tea is still warm.
Other Drink Recipes you Might Enjoy Include: