Pour this Vegan Mushroom Gravy with White Wine all over everything on your plate this Thanksgiving! This easy recipe doesn’t take long to make, and uses just a few ingredients. Creamy mushroom sauce is the ultimate complement to your holiday meal. It’s dairy-free with a gluten-free option.
Before I get into this week's recipe, I have something exciting to announce — I've been working hard behind the scenes, and my first cookbook is due in stores on December 31st! The Truly Healthy Vegan Cookbook is full of quick and easy vegan recipes. Over the coming weeks, I'll be sharing sneak peeks, recipes, and more. Preorder your copy now on Amazon.
Thanksgiving is almost here, so I think it’s time to talk about the most important aspect of the holiday: gravy. Sure, the roast is nice, and potatoes are all good, but really, aren’t they just delivery vehicles for gravy?
Not everyone likes brussels sprouts, and some people don’t care for stuffing, but gravy is the one thing everyone can agree on. I like to make sure I have a lot of it on hand, because a gravy shortage on Thanksgiving would be a huge catastrophe. So, this recipe makes a lot of gravy.
Last year I shared a recipe for creamy cashew gravy. It’s one of my favorites, but it I usually end up with a lot of cashew recipes on Thanksgiving, as Creamed Kale and Green Bean Casserole are two menu mainstays. Plus, I realize there’s a need for nut-free recipes due to food allergies.
How to Make Vegan Mushroom Gravy
I will admit that I frequently buy gravy, because store-bought gravy means one less thing I have to make myself on Thanksgiving. But it’s super easy to make your own gravy, and it can be made in advance and stored in the freezer.
- First, you cook the shallots, mushrooms, and thyme until they’re soft.
- Then, you sprinkle a little flour in the pot and cook for another few minutes.
- Next, you add the stock, wine, and cornstarch and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Lower the heat and allow the mixture to simmer until it thickens, about 15 minutes.
- Then season with salt and pepper and pour it all over your plate!
Vegan Mushroom Gravy with White Wine
- 1 tablespoon neutral-flavored oil
- 2 shallots , diced
- 16 ounces crimini or white button mushrooms , sliced
- 1½ teaspoon fresh thyme
- ½ cup all-purpose flour , whole wheat flour, or gluten-free flour
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup dry white wine
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat the oil and add the shallots, mushrooms, and thyme. Cook them, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes, or until they soften and brown. Stir in the flour, and cook for 2 or 3 more minutes, or until it begins to brown.
- Whisk in the vegetable stock, wine, and cornstarch and bring the mixture to a boil. Lower the heat to medium-low and allow the gravy to simmer until it thickens, about 15 minutes.
Other Thanksgiving Recipes you Might Enjoy Include:
- Smashed Potatoes with Roasted Garlic Cream
- Thanksgiving Rice
- Baked Butternut Squash Rice
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms