I used to make stuffed mushrooms as one of my Thanksgiving side dishes. While they were always a favorite with my guests, I dreaded making them, as it seemed to take forever to stuff the tiny little mushroom caps. Not only do these Stuffed Portobellos come together very quickly, they can take center stage on your plate, both impressing your guests and saving yourself some time in the kitchen.
I like to make these stuffed portobello mushrooms for both Thanksgiving and Christmas, but they’re also a great light meal for just about any day of the week! They’re loaded with healthy greens and beans, so they’re not only delicious, they’re really nutritious, too!
Vegan Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
- 4 large portobello mushrooms stems removed
- 4 teaspoons olive oil divided
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt divided
- ½ teaspoon black pepper divided
- 2 medium-sized shallots chopped (about ¼ cup)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup vegetable or mushroom stock
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaved parsley chopped
- 2 cups spinach tightly packed, chopped
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the mushroom caps on it, upside down.
- Whisk together 3 teaspoons olive oil with the balsamic vinegar, ¼ teaspoon sea salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper.
- Brush in the mushrooms with the mixture and bake for 10 or 15 minutes, until tender.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, cook the shallots in the remaining olive oil for 5 or 10 minutes, until slightly brown and fragrant. Add the garlic and rosemary and cook for another minute or two. Stir in the spinach and broth. Remove from heat as soon as the spinach begins to wilt. Mix in the, beans, parsley, breadcrumbs, nutritional yeast and the remaining sea salt and pepper.
- Stuff the mushrooms with the mixture. Sprinkle the tops with a little extra breadcrumbs and nooch if you’d like a little extra crunch. Bake for another 10 to 15 minutes, until heated throughout.