I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: the slow cooker is a thing of beauty. I’ve had people tell me that slow cookers scare them, and that they’re afraid their house will burn down while they’re at work. I’ve never actually heard of anyone having a slow cooker fire in their house, so I really don’t think there’s anything to worry about. Temperatures on slow cookers vary between 170 and 200 degrees, and they’re actually safer than ovens and stovetops, because of the lower temperatures and closed lids. And I can’t emphasize enough how wonderful it is to come home to a hot cooked meal. And, bonus: there’s only one pot that needs to be washed after dinner!
Slow Cooker Curry is super easy to make!
This curry is extremely easy to make. I like to chop my vegetables the night before, so it’s all ready to go in the morning. (I’m just not a morning person.) If you’re worried that the onion will have too much of a bite, you can sauté it before adding it to your slow cooker. I just throw it in with the rest of the ingredients, and I don’t think it’s too pungent, though.
Any type of tofu will do in this recipe. If I’m pressed for time, I’ll use two packages of baked tofu, but if I have the time, I’ll dry fry extra firm tofu. Extra firm tofu right out of the package is fine, too – it’ll soak up all of the flavors in the curry.
Slow cooker curry is perfect for busy weeknights. I love having dinner ready for me at the end of a long work day!
Slow Cooker Curry with Tofu and Veggies
- Slow Cooker
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- ½ cup red onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ head cauliflower chopped into bite sized pieces (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup green beans cut into 1" segments
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 recipe Baked Tofu or 14-ounces store-bought baked tofu
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- a few dried Thai red chili peppers optional
- ¼ cup cashews toasted
- 4 cups cooked brown rice for serving optional
- Mix the coconut milk, vegetable stock, and red curry paste together in your slow cooker. Add the onion, garlic, cauliflower, green beans, bell pepper, tofu, and salt. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Just before serving, mix the dried chiles and lime juice into the curry.
- Serve over brown rice, if using, and top with the toasted cashews.
If you enjoyed this Slow Cooker Curry, you may also like:
- Slow Cooker Seitan Stew
- Thai Green Curry with Green Beans and Sweet Potatoes
- Pumpkin Curry
- Spicy Lentil and Carrot Soup